Chemistry Graduate Admission Requirements & Procedure
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry (or equivalent) with an overall minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- The general exam is required for all applicants.
- A subject exam is NOT required for Chemistry admission.
- Further information on the testing requirements is available on the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) website.
- At least two (2) letters of recommendation (see below).
- A statement of purpose (SOP; see below).
Students may be required to take courses to attain equivalency with a comparable B.S. degree from our Department (Conditionally Classified status). These courses may not be included in the 30-unit graduate program required for the M.S. degree. International students who come from a country where English is not the primary language AND who do not possess a baccalaureate degree from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction must take an English Language Proficiency (ELP) exam. More information can be found on the GAPE website.
More information may be found in the Graduate Handbook [pdf] for chemistry graduate students.
Apply online to the M.S. Chemistry Program at San José State University through Cal State Apply and pay the application fee.
NOTE: Admission is not allowed directly into the M.A. Chemistry Program. Apply to the M.S. program.
Further information for Domestic Applicants, International Applicants, and Admission Deadlines can be found on the GAPE website.
Your 1-2 page SOP should describe the reasons you want to attend the MS program and your background skills, knowledge and/or experience that will make you successful in our program. Submit your SOP to the portal.
At least two (2) letters of recommendation must be emailed to the Chemistry Department (email@example.com).
NOTE: Failure to send letters of recommendation may prevent review of the application.
Letters should be sent directly from the recommender as a pdf attachment on company or university letterhead.
Subject Line Must Read:
“LOR for Last Name, First Name”
Example: LOR for Doe, John
For further information, please contact the Chemistry Graduate Program Coordinator.