Undeclared Pre-Nursing Academic Track
The CHHS Student Success Center is home to the Undeclared Pre-Nursing (UPN) Program. This program is responsible for advising students in the UPN academic track.
Undeclared Pre-Nursing (UPN) is an academic track and not a major. UPN students are considered undeclared majors and are not Nursing majors until they have completed all pre-requisites, successfully applied to the School of Nursing and have been officially accepted into the Nursing major. The UPN Program assists students with this process.
Undeclared Pre-Nursing (UPN) students are not guaranteed admission into the Nursing program. The Nursing program is highly competitive. For this reason, UPN students will identify an alternative major with their advisor in the event they are not admitted to the Nursing program.
Students who are interested in the Nursing program should follow the most current Nursing Roadmap [pdf], which contains the program requirements needed to apply.
- Personalized academic planning with an Undeclared Pre-Nursing academic advisor to develop a multi-semester educational plan
- Knowledge of SJSU academic policy and access to the latest updates to Nursing policies
- Identification of alternative majors as well as the various pathways leading to a career in Nursing or another helping/health profession
- Complete mandatory advising requirements every semester, which may consist of attending workshops, completing worksheets, attending appointments or more.
- Develop a realistic and attainable back-up plan.
- Apply to Nursing as soon as you are eligible, and before you have earned 60 units.
If you are not accepted into the Nursing program by the time you earn 60 units, you will be required to declare a non-nursing major and seek academic advising on future plans. If you do not declare a major by the time specified, you will be prevented from registering for classes via a hold until a major is declared. (PD 2009-05 [pdf])
Applying to Undeclared Pre-Nursing
This application is for current matriculated SJSU students only. Applications for Spring admission are currently open. If you are in high school or community college, please contact SJSU Admissions to learn about applying to SJSU as an Undeclared Pre-Nursing (UPN) student.
- Read all the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- In order to qualify to apply for the UPN program, you must have earned less than 60
units, have a 3.4 GPA in 3 out of the 8 Nursing prerequisites including:
- 1 science course from: Chem 30A or Bio 65 or Bio 66 or Micro 20
- 1 statistics course: Stat 95 or UNVS 15S
- 1 course from the following: Comm 20, GE A3, English 1A/1AS
- You can calculate your GPA using a GPA Calculator.
- After completing the course requirements, fill out the UPN Application.
Applications for Spring admission may be submitted January 1st through January 10th for consideration. You will be notified of the application decision by January 20th.
Applications for Fall admission may be submitted June 1st through June 10th for consideration. You will be notified of the application decision by June 20th.
To meet with a UPN advisor, contact the CHHS Student Success Center front desk.
Instructions for UPN students seeking signatures and advising for petitions:
Before submitting a petition for Semester Withdrawal, Leave of Absence, Reinstatement, or Excess Units, you must make an advising appointment with a UPN academic advisor.