How to Apply for Graduation

If you have completed 85 units or more towards your degree, you should be eligible to apply for graduation online in your major. Furthermore, applying for graduation by the October 5th, 2021 deadline would have also provide you with priority registration for the next one or two semesters depending on your expected graduation term.

Note: The Fall 2021 online graduation application has opened for the semester. If you are unable to apply for graduation, the online graduation application will reopen next Spring as well as next Summer. If you are eligible to apply, you will receive an email from the CHHS SSC letting you know.

Important: If you are graduating this semester and you are unable to apply by the October 5th deadline, make an appointment with us. 

As you may know, all departments within the College of Health and Human Sciences (CHHS) have implemented the online graduation application. These majors include:

  • Nursing
  • Social Work
  • Public Health and Recreation
  • Kinesiology
  • Nutrition, Food Science, and Packaging

This means you can apply for graduation via MySJSU. There is no need to submit a major form, or a paper graduation application form. Simply use your MyProgress—accessed through your MySJSU portal—to monitor your progress towards graduation, and if ready apply online for graduation via your MySJSU account.  

Students with a minor: You will need to meet with your minor advisor and fill out a minor form for graduation with them. This form will need to be signed by the minor advisor and submitted to the registrar by the application deadline. 

The link below will take you to a video which will provide important information on how to apply online for graduation and help you answer the following questions:

  • How do I know if I am ready to apply for graduation? 
  • For which term am I ready to apply for graduation?
  • How can I use MyProgress to monitor my completion of degree requirements?
  • What is the International Experience requirement, and does it apply to my major?
  • If ready to apply for graduation, how do I apply online?
  • If I have advising needs, what are my resources?

For guidance on how to best answer the questions above and a tutorial on how to apply online via MySJSU, please go to:

For further advising assistance, please use this link to make an appointment through Spartan Connect or call the CHHS Student Success Center at  (408) 924-2910 or (408) 924-8601 to make an appointment with the next available academic advisor, OR contact your major department.

You can visit this link [pdf]to view the Registrar’s guide on applying online for graduation. 

General Graduation Information: