We are excited to celebrate the 53rd Chicano Commencement at San José State University in person on Monday, May 22 from 9-11am at the Provident Credit Union Event Center. Given that Chicano Commencement only occurs in the spring semester, we have prioritized Latinx students who completed their degree requirements in Fall 2022 and students expecting to graduate Spring/Summer 2023.
Students graduating Fall 2023 will be eligible to participate in Chicano Commencement 2024.
Participation Eligibility: Students that meet ONE of the following criteria will be given priority:
- Completed degree requirements in Fall 2022
- Applied to graduate Spring/Summer 2023 and is verifiable via MySJSU
In order to plan and execute a smooth, safe, and successful Chicano Commencement Ceremony, graduates must follow the instructions below:
- Chicano Commencement Schedule
- Guest Tickets
- Cultural Stole
- Graduation Attire-Academic Regalia
- Covid-19 Protocols
- Event Parking
- Event Venue
- Livestream and Recording
CHICANO COMMENCEMENT PROGRAM SCHEDULE
9:00-11:00AM -Final program schedule will be available early May 2023.
Registration is NOW CLOSED
All registered participants-check your email for information on how to claim your guest tickets through Monday, May 22 at 10 AM.
Registered participants, check your email for information.
GRADUATION ATTIRE-ACADEMIC REGALIA
All participating graduates are required to wear their academic regalia to commencement.
The Provident Credit Union Event Center is an accessible building on campus. Students and guests with ADA accessibility needs will enter through the designated entrance on the ground floor of the venue. ADA accessible seating will be available inside of the venue. For questions, please contact the firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event Prohibited Items:
Commencement is a "Clear Bag Policy" [pdf] [pdf] event. For the safety and enjoyment of all attendees, the following items are not permitted at the event:
- NO Drones or airborne flying devices
- NO Helium Balloons
- NO Artificial noise-making devices, horns, air horns
- NO Inflatable balls, frisbees, tortillas, etc.
- NO Confetti or streamers
- NO Skateboards, scooters, rollerblades
- NO Signs or banners larger than 3’ x 5’ and must be foldable (if a banner is brought, it will be inspected before being admitted. It may not be attached to any railings, fencing, etc. Must be held only)
- NO Coolers, hard sided coolers
- NO Outside Food or Beverages (Including Alcohol, Fruit and Candy)
- NO Illegal Substances, Drugs or Drug Paraphernalia
- NO Tobacco Products or Paraphernalia
- NO Markers, Pens or Spray Paint
- NO Laser Pointers
- NO Solid Backpacks, Purses or Bags (see our clear bag policy [pdf] [pdf])
- NO Weapons of Any Kind (Includes Pocket Knives, Pepper Spray, Fireworks, etc.)
- NO Professional Recording Equipment – Photo Video, or Audio (No
- Detachable Lenses, Tripods, Big Zooms or Commercial Use Rigs)
- NO Items deemed to be dangerous or inappropriate by management that may disrupt other attendees' enjoyment of the event
- NO Pets are permitted at this event. ADA service animals are allowed.
- There is no public storage for prohibited items, nor can any items be held by the event staff.
- SJSU is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- All guests will be subject to search, which may include the use of electronic devices, pat downs and inspections of bags.
- Guests are discouraged from bringing unnecessary items to the event.