State Authorization for Distance Education

 Frequently Asked Questions


Contact us at


  • What is State Authorization? 

States expect institutions to obtain approval for regulated activities that occur in their state. These activities may include but are not limited to online learning, practical experiences, faculty teaching from another state, marketing, and advertising. The requirements as to which activities require authorization, the application processes, and the costs to comply vary greatly from state to state. An institution's compliance (or lack thereof) can affect its ability to receive federal financial aid.


  • Who is SJSU accredited by?

San Jose State University is accredited by the  Senior College and University Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). To view SJSU’s most recent accreditation letter as well as learn more about visits and reports, please visit SJSU’s WASC Accreditation website.


  • How do I resolve a grievance?

Students residing outside of California (while attending SJSU's distance education programs) wishing to resolve a grievance should contact the appropriate office (e.g. Bursar's Office, Financial Aid Office, etc.). If the issue persists, please follow the CSU Internal Complaint Process.


  • What is the CSU Internal Complaint Process?

Prior to filing a complaint with a state agency, see Executive Order No. 1063 for details regarding the complaint requirements and process. If you are a student wishing to file a complaint in your home state, please select the state contact at the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association to file a complaint directly in your state.


  • What is your refund policy?

If SJSU plans to be authorized to offer a program in a particular state but does not obtain approval before the term starts, the student’s application fee will be refunded.


  • Authorization for my state/program is “In Progress.” What is the timeline for its approval and what can I do until then?

The timeline for approval varies depending on the state or program. Please contact us to inquire about your specific situation. 



Contact us at