The mission of the Gender Equity Center (GenEC) is to advocate for social justice, respect, and safety for all members of the San José State University community, by educating on issues experienced by people because of their gender, gender identity, and/or their perceived gender/gender identity, through an intersectional lens.
What We Do
The GenEC provides dynamic programming and educational outreach opportunities through collaborative partnerships with other campus and community organizations. The GenEC works to empower individuals with the tools and skills they need to successfully complete their educational goals and to become leaders in the community.
Services We Offer
- Drop-in Social Space
- Meeting Space for Student Groups
- Free Condoms, Pads, and Tampons
- Lactation Room
- Lunch & Learn Series with Professors, Staff, Students, and Community Members
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Video Library
- Lending Library With 100s of Classic and Contemporary Feminist and Gender Studies Titles Available
- Events Throughout The Year
- Intimate Partner and Domestic Violence Awareness Month featuring the Clothesline Project
- Love Your Body Day
- VDAY and The Vagina Monologues
- Womxn's Herstory Month
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
We are located in the Student Union, First Level, Room 1650.
Please stop by to hang out, chat, read, eat lunch, or just check out the space!
Title IX / Gender Equity Issues
The California State University, which includes San José State, does not discriminate on the basis of gender, which includes sex and gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation in its education programs or activities.