Thank you for your interest in the I‑House. If you have further questions, please call or write:
360 South 11th Street
San José, CA 95112
Applications are reviewed by committee on an on-going basis. Applications for each semester are reviewed every two weeks until I‑House is full, beginning in early April for the upcoming Fall or Summer term, and beginning in early October for the upcoming Spring term.
- Applicants are not accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee acceptance.
Ashley L., USA
I’ve enrolled in 2 Summer study abroad sessions in recent years. The first was in Taiwan 2019 for a language focused program and the second was in South Korea 2022 for an International Summer School. In addition to that, while I was abroad in these countries I was also able to visit neighboring countries such as Macau, Hong Kong, and Thailand.After spending months in these countries, coming back home was definitely a culture shock. Certain things and conveniences I had gotten used to were unavailable in the States and the friends I had made were all scattered across the globe. Something that really helped me though are the friends I made using my experiences. Especially in the case of living at the International House at SJSU, I was able to quickly connect with those from the countries I had visited because we were able to relate to one another. It was easier for me to understand where they were coming from as people because I understood the cultures they were brought up in and some of the experiences they had back home. Some of the friends I made this semester at the International House have become my closest friends and I’d like to think that I was able to help them adjust to living in the United States better.
Applicants are accepted based on many criteria including the following:
- We consider diversity of countries represented at the I‑House.
- We review essays to determine applicant's enthusiasm to participate in I‑House group activities, and ability and interest of an applicant to interact with people of many cultures and live in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- We also take into account likely roommate compatibility with new and returning residents.
- It is very important that, as much as possible, the applicant write his/her own application.
- We recognize that many of our applicants will attend SJSU to learn English. We are not concerned with English language skills and ability, but concentrate instead on the above criteria.
Download and fill in the application form details, then e-mail it to us.
Once your application has been reviewed and you are accepted to live at International House, you will be e-mailed the I-House License packet, which includes Release Forms, Alcohol and Smoking policies, and Network use policy for signature. You will be sent a separate e-mail with payment information. Forms can be viewed under Resident Life - Resources for Residents.
Before making your payment, please be aware of our cancellation and refund policies:
For Fall and Spring Semester Residents
Cancellations: Once accepted to stay at International House and up to the cancellation deadline date, a $100 non-refundable reservation fee + 7% of total refund will be charged upon cancellation of contract. The license of an incoming student may be cancelled without further penalty 60 days prior to the official Fall semester move-in date, and 60 days prior to the Spring semester move-in date. The financial penalties for voiding a signed license without meeting the 60 day deadline are as follows: after the deadline and up to 46 days prior to the move-in date, $2,934 + Room Care Deposit will be forfeited; 45 days prior to move-in date and thereafter, no refunds will be given on a broken contract and contractual obligations must be fulfilled.