Many of our degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate residents choose to live at I-House semester after semester while they attend SJSU. While we hope our residents will choose to stay, we offer the option of moving out mid-year if that is a student's preference.
I am so glad to be given this opportunity to live in I-House. I-House made my stay here at SJSU the best time of my life and I can't wait to meet my international Family again!
Financial Aid Accepted
Financial aid distributed through the SJSU Financial Aid office will be paid directly to the student who is responsible for making payments to the I-House. Upon acceptance to the I-House, balanced monthly payments can be arranged. Contact the Director to set up an individualized payment plan.
Students receiving financial aid must provide notification that all forms have been submitted to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office, and as processing is completed, must provide statements indicating that financial aid will be provided in amounts sufficient to contribute towards room and board fees after tuition and books have been deducted.
Student Assistant Positions
Approximately one-third of our residents are hired to work each semester at International House. Applications for these positions are reviewed at the beginning of the semester. Residents become employees of the SJSU Research Foundation, submit timesheets online, and receive pay checks every two weeks.
Note that many residents who live at I-House year-round work at I-House, which contributes to a year-round cost savings to live at I-House.
Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 rates
The following housing rates reflect our one semester housing contract at the International House. The meal plan (Board) is required during Fall & Spring semesters.
|Room and Program Fees||Meal Membership|
|Semester Rent (Room)||$6,186|
|Semester Meals (Board)||$3,126|
|Room and Board total||$9,312|
|Semester Student Council Activity Fee||$75|
|Semester Parking Fee for Residents (optional)||$200|
|Linen packet (optional)||$150|
|Wireless Internet Access Fees||None|
Is it possible that I-House MAY BE LESS EXPENSIVE THAN OTHER HOUSING OPTIONS?
- Summer/Winter rates are very low for students who live at the I-House during a regular Fall or Spring semester, which makes the cumulative year-round rate comparable or less than living in an apartment or shared housing.
- Many residents work and earn money as Student Assistants at I-House in a range of positions including Computer Aides, Receptionists, Office, All-Around, Maintenance, Kitchen, Coffee Night and Flag Aides. This helps pay for expenses and provides some flexible spending money.
- Matriculated degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students working as Head Resident, Resident Advisors, and Network Administrator earn room and board in exchange for their work. Since they don't pay any room and board, their cumulative room and board fees over the course of their college years end up being comparable or lower than those who live in less expensive housing throughout their academic years.
- Fall and Spring residents can move in upon arrival in San Jose. Give us advance notice of your arrival to make sure a room is available if you will arrive prior to the start of the semester contract.
- See contract for details regarding dates of meal service.
To rent linen (flat and fitted sheet, blanket, pillow and pillow case, bath towel and hand towel) from I-House for the entire semester, the cost is a non-refundable $150 rental fee.
All of the following facilities and equipment are included in room and board fees:
- Fast and reliable wireless internet access throughout the I-House
- Use of the computer room with state-of-the-art computers, 3D-printer, scanner, printers, and gaming center, 100 sheets copy paper/month.
- Access to the student kitchen to prepare favorite meals and snacks at any time
- Plenty of space to interact with others or find time on one's own in the Dining Room, Living Room, Study Room, Computer Room, Recreation Rooms
- Nintendo Switch/Pool/table tennis/foosball/air hockey and board games
- 2 pianos, drum set, and I-House acoustic and electric guitars
- Storage rooms for luggage. Use of vacuums, irons/ironing boards, drying racks
Academic semester payments are made in three installments:
- Upon acceptance to live at International House for Fall or Spring semester, $3,104.00 Room & Board first payment is due with contract. New residents pay a refundable one-time $100.00 Room Care Deposit with their first payment.
- At the commencement of the semester, the next installment of $3,104.00 is due.
- The final installment is due on October 1 for Fall semester, March 1 for Spring semester.
Payment plans can be arranged for payments to be made on a monthly basis. Contact the Director if you would like to set up an individualized payment plan.
I-House accepts credit cards for most payments. Once you are accepted to live at International House, we will provide you a link so that your payments can be made online using your credit card. If necessary, payments can be made via wire transfer. The information will be provided upon request; credit card payments are preferred.
Parking rate per semester is $200.00 for residents and $300.00 for non-residents (subject to availability).
Spaces in the I-House parking lots are assigned as parking fees are paid. Residents may choose a preferred parking space based on availability. Space permitting, parking is made available to non-residents.
Before making your payment, please be aware of our cancellation and refund policies:
Cancellations for Fall and Spring Semester Residents
The financial penalties for voiding a signed license without meeting the cancellation deadline, based on scheduled move-in date, are as follows:
a. Once accepted to stay at I-House and up to the cancellation deadline date, which is 60 days prior to scheduled move-in: $100 non-refundable reservation fee + 7% of semester payments made to date will be charged upon cancellation of license; the balance will be refunded.
b. The financial penalties for voiding a signed license without meeting the 60-day deadline are as follows: After the deadline and up to 46 days prior to the move-in date, one-third of the total semester fees owed + Room Care Deposit will be forfeited upon cancellation of license.
c. Forty-five days prior to move-in date and thereafter, no refunds will be given on a breach of contract and contractual obligations must be fulfilled.
d. After move-in date, no refunds will be given on a breach of contract and contractual obligations must be fulfilled.
For Summer/Winter Residents
Once accepted to stay at International House and up to 14 days prior to the move-in date, $100 non-refundable reservation fee + one-third of the total fees owed for the summer stay will be charged upon cancellation; the balance will be refunded. Less than 14 days prior to move-in, or once a resident has moved in to the International House, no refunds will be provided.
For Parking Fees
Requests for cancellation of reserved parking will be reviewed at the discretion of the Director. Refunds may be pro-rated, and a 7% cancellation charge will be levied in addition to funds owed.
Meal Plan Option
The license to occupy the International House includes food service in addition to housing for all residents during the Fall and Spring semesters.
Chefs onsite at I-House
Chefs prepare fresh, tasty, health food onsite at I-House Monday through Friday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served at I-House Monday - Thursday. Brunch and dinner are served at I-House on Friday. In addition, residents are provided limited swipes and Dining Dollars to eat in the Dining Commons or retail dining outlets on campus.
Special Dietary Needs
Special dietary needs including vegetarian, vegan, and halal will be accommodated wherever possible. Please note that no reduction of food service fees will be permitted for dietary or related concerns.
Residents prepare their own meals in the student kitchen or on the patio bbq during the Summer and Winter vacations. Residents often cook and eat together.
Summer Housing Rates
I-House stays open for winter and summer breaks. Year-round residents pay only $25.00/night for double rooms, not including linen (sheets, blankets, towels). Many residents who live at I-House year-round are hired as Student Assistants and work at I-House towards a significant reduction in summer/winter rent. Many earn their full summer/winter fees, which contributes to a significant year-round cost savings to live at I-House.
For conference groups, please contact I-House to make arrangements regarding availability and rates.
Individuals who live at I-House during the summer only and who stay for 21+ days:
$35.00/night for double rooms without linen.
To rent linen (flat and fitted sheet, blanket, pillow and pillow case, bath towel and hand towel), the cost is a non-refundable $150 rental fee.
The cost for a short-term stay less than 21 days, if approved by the Director, is $45/night for a double room without linen.