The Study Abroad and Away department is contributing to the internationalization of San Jose State University by providing students with the opportunity to study, intern and explore different cultures around the world through a variety of short-term programs. Through these experiences, we seek to cultivate a diverse global community through international academic opportunities and partnerships.
Faculty-Led Programs: Study abroad with SJSU faculty and classmates and earn SJSU credit on a Faculty-Led Program. Courses focus on a particular theme and are taught by SJSU faculty. Programs are typically 1-4 weeks long and take place during winter, spring and summer breaks.
Summer School Abroad:Take classes at an international university for 2-8 weeks during summer break. With support from the Study Abroad and Away team, you get to travel independently while you earn SJSU credit and take classes with other international students.
Alternative Breaks: Explore another region of the United States or the globe and focus on learning about diverse cultures alongside SJSU classmates during spring and summer breaks. Programs are led by SJSU staff, often include service learning activities, and vary in length (1 week for spring programs and 1-3 weeks for summer programs). These are co-curricular programs and do not offer academic credit.
Internships and Service Learning: Complete an international internship or engage in a service-learning project at one of our global partner locations over summer break. Program lengths vary and provide opportunities to earn SJSU credit while developing valuable professional and personal skills.
Summer School Abroad
Alternative Break Programs
Internships & Service Learning
The CDC issued guidance on March 1, 2020 and advised the postponement or cancellation of all upcoming student foreign exchange programs. The CDC notes, and we believe, that “students may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges in returning home or accessing health care while abroad.” Additionally, as of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization has determined that the Coronavirus now considered a global pandemic.
Due to the dynamic threat of the Coronavirus and its potential impact on students’ health and safety, Study Abroad and Away office has taken the following actions in regards to our programs:
- All spring break programs (Alternative Spring Break and Faculty-led Programs) have been cancelled.
- Semester and Year Long programs:
- Spring semester abroad programs have been cancelled.
- Fall semester abroad programs have been cancelled, effective 4/23/20. Students impacted
by this decision are encouraged to defer their semester abroad to spring 2021. Please
contact SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for assistance if you are impacted by this cancellation.
- The travel portion of all Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) for Summer 2020 will be cancelled. The majority of the programs will continue to offer the FLP course in an online format. For programs that will not be modified for an online course format, we will work with those impacted students to provide alternative options.
- All Summer School Abroad (SSA) programs for Summer 2020 have been cancelled. Impacted students are advised to identify SJSU Summer Session Courses to take in lieu of their Summer School Abroad courses.
- Winter break Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) are still accepting applications at this time. We will continue to monitor the situation globally over the next few months and notify students if there are any changes to the winter break FLPs.
Please reach out to us at SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for questions or if you need assistance. If an emergency, contact the University Police Department at 408-924-2222.