Alternative Break Programs
Alternative Break Programs
Alternative Break Programs (ABP) provide San José State University students the opportunity to experience other cultures through community visits, service-learning projects, group activities and discussions. ABPs let you explore another region of the United States or the globe and focus on learning about diverse cultures with a group of your classmates and an SJSU staff leader during either spring or summer break. Programs vary in length (1 week for spring programs and 1-3 weeks for summer programs) and are co-curricular; they do not offer academic credit.
Check out our Events calendar for information on events and info sessions for upcoming Alternative Break Programs!
The CDC issued guidance on March 1, 2020 and advised the postponement or cancellation of all upcoming student foreign exchange programs. The CDC notes, and we believe, that “students may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges in returning home or accessing health care while abroad.” Additionally, as of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization has determined that the Coronavirus now considered a global pandemic.
Due to the dynamic threat of the Coronavirus and its potential impact on students’ health and safety, Study Abroad and Away office has taken the following actions in regards to our programs:
- Semester and Year Long programs:
- Fall semester abroad programs have been cancelled, effective 4/23/20. Students impacted
by this decision are encouraged to defer their semester abroad to spring 2021. Please
contact SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for assistance if you are impacted by this cancellation.
- Spring semester 2021 programs are still accepting applications at this time and plan to travel. We will continue to monitor the situation globally over the next few months and will notify students if there are any changes.
- The travel portion of all Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) for Winter break 2021 has been cancelled. The majority of the programs will continue to offer the FLP course in an online format. The online version of Winter 2021 Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) are still accepting applications at this time.
- Alternative Break Programs for spring 2021 have been cancelled (effective 9/14/20), given the increased threat of COVID-19 in our domestic program locations. SAA will be developing Alternative Break Programming for Summer 2021. We hope to offer both international and domestic sites. More information will be provided in late fall 2020.
Please reach out to us at SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for questions or if you need assistance. If an emergency, contact the University Police Department at 408-924-2222.