Alternative Spring Break
Alternative Spring Break Programs
Alternative Spring Break programs (ASBs) provide San José State University students the opportunity to experience other cultures through community visits, service learning projects, group activities, and discussions. ASBs let you explore another region with a group of your classmates and an SJSU leader during Spring Break.
The CDC issued guidance on March 1, 2020 and advised the postponement or cancellation of all upcoming student foreign exchange programs. The CDC notes, and we believe, that “students may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges in returning home or accessing health care while abroad.” Additionally, as of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization has determined that the Coronavirus now considered a global pandemic.
Due to the dynamic threat of the Coronavirus and its potential impact on students’ health and safety, Study Abroad and Away office has taken the following actions in regards to our programs:
- All spring break programs (Alternative Spring Break and Faculty-led Programs) have been cancelled.
- Semester and Year Long programs:
- Spring semester abroad programs have been cancelled.
- Fall semester abroad programs have been cancelled, effective 4/23/20. Students impacted
by this decision are encouraged to defer their semester abroad to spring 2021. Please
contact SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for assistance if you are impacted by this cancellation.
- The travel portion of all Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) for Summer 2020 will be cancelled. The majority of the programs will continue to offer the FLP course in an online format. For programs that will not be modified for an online course format, we will work with those impacted students to provide alternative options.
- All Summer School Abroad (SSA) programs for Summer 2020 have been cancelled. Impacted students are advised to identify SJSU Summer Session Courses to take in lieu of their Summer School Abroad courses.
- Winter break Faculty-Led Programs (FLP) are still accepting applications at this time. We will continue to monitor the situation globally over the next few months and notify students if there are any changes to the winter break FLPs.
Please reach out to us at SpartansAbroad@sjsu.edu for questions or if you need assistance. If an emergency, contact the University Police Department at 408-924-2222.