Non Resident Tuition Exemption (AB 540/ SB 68)

What is AB 540?

AB 540, also known as the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption, allows eligible non-California residents to pay in-state tuition at public colleges and universities in California. To qualify, students must have attended at least three years, graduated, or earned an equivalent degree from a California school.

Visit the Office of the Registrar's AB 540 page to learn about the eligibility requirements and how to submit the CA Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form.

AB 540 is a Gateway to State Financial Aid 

Undocumented students that qualify for AB 540 may be eligible to receive state and university financial aid through the California Dream Act Application (CADAA)

Immigration statuses that can apply for AB 540 and CADAA include:

    • Undocumented (out-of-status)
    • DACA recipients
    • U visa
    • Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
    • Asylum Seekers
    • Special Immigrant Juvenile 

For a complete list of statuses and their eligibility for AB 540 and CADAA, visit the CSU Nonresident Tuition Exemption page. 

Note: Beginning Fall 2024, the CA Nonresident Tuition Exemption form (AB 540) will be included in the CA Dream Act Application. Undocumented students who have completed the CADAA will not need to submit a separate form.

Additional Resources