More About Tools
SJSU IT Work Anywhere recommends using Zoom for hosting lectures and meetings, Google Hangout Chats for instant messaging, and Google G Suite for file sharing and class projects.
Choose the right technologies and tools to teach, learn, and work anywhere.
Zoom brings the best engagement, connection and collaboration for video meetings, phone calls, and interactive whiteboarding.
- Host lectures and meetings online, using video and/or audio
- Good for large or small groups
- Webinar capabilities that help you reach more people
- Recording options available
- Ability to share screens
- "Whiteboard" tool for on-the-fly presenting of notes
- Learn more about Zoom
Working remotely with G Suite
Video meetings, group chat, and document collaboration apps make it easy to work from home and telecommute from anywhere.
- Collaborate anytime and anywhere on office or class projects.
- Docs, Sheet, Slides
- Chat and Video meeting
- Learn more about G Suite
Canvas streamlines all the digital tools and content that teachers and students love, for a simpler and more connected learning experience.
- Post class lectures
- Provide course materials, including assignments, readings, and audio/visual materials
- Collect student assignments online
- Manage quizzes and grade
- Set up and manage online asynchronous discussions
- Learn more about Canvas
- Check voice messages from outside the office [pdf]
- Call forwarding to personal number [pdf]
- Learn more about Campus Telephones
- Internet & Network Access
Reliable, wired access to the University network and the Internet. SJSU offers indoor/outdoor wireless networks for different audiences:
SJSU_Premier secure network is for Students, Faculty and Staff and provides encrypted connectivity for wireless users that have a SJSUOne ID
Eduroam wireless network allows many higher education groups to use the local resources.
- Connect to campus via VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) to access secure network resources you can normally only access from on campus.
- PeopleSoft SIS/HCM/CFS
- FTS (Financial Transaction Services)
- SJSU Website
- RIMS, SAMI/Filemaker/Nextsteps, iSupport, S2, Sunapsis
- Canvas, StarRez, Blogs, DocuSign
- All other business applications
- SJSU Alerts (Rave)
- Marketo - Marketing automation
- SJSU Website (OUCampus)
Single Sign-On (SSO) and DUO
Equipment loaning is available for students, faculty, and staff to checkout at SJSU IT IMS Equipment Loaning through the Online Resource Booking systems.
SJSU IT IMS Equipment Loaning
Location: IRC 112
San Jose State University is proud to announce a partnership with Sophos to bring all SJSU Students, Faculty, and Staff the premium version of Sophos Home Antivirus Software at no cost.
Learn more about Sophos Antivirus
A queue management system allows students to get in line remotely (from your phone or computer), check status, and be notified via SMS or mobile app when a representative is ready to provide service either physically or remotely. This means 100% disbursement of students from a lobby. Queue management system can provide the following student journey:
- Students get in line from their phone or computer
- Students are told how long their wait is and their place in-line
- Students arrive “just-in-time” (no students waiting in your lobby)
- No More Lines, No Busy Lobby, No Contagion
Virtual Queues and Appointments:
WiFi at South Campus Park & Ride
- SJSU-IT is making WIFI available at park & ride lot in South Campus to allow SJSU
students and other eduroam campuses students access the Wi-Fi while maintaining social
distancing from the safety of their cars. WiFi service is centered around the covered
waiting area. SJSU students should use the SJSU_Premier wireless network, while students from other campuses can use the Eduroam wireless network.
- Eduroam wireless network allows many higher education groups to use the local resources.
Students, faculty, and staff can also connect to hundreds of secure networks across the world using their SJSU login with eduroam. Eduroam is an international roaming service that has thousands of participating universities, libraries, and other learning institutions. There are over 2,000 available eduroam networks across the United States, including at least one in every major city with many throughout the SF Bay Area and California. There are thousands more all across the world. Click here to learn more about eduroam network.
- Where? Park & Ride lot is located on South 7th Street (between Humboldt and Alma Streets), 8 blocks south of the main campus, across from Spartan Stadium. See Parking Map [pdf].
Sign up for an appointment for a personalized checkup to optimize your entire computer setup for online learning, teaching, and working. An SJSU IT Service Desk technician will connect one-on-one to help you optimize your work- and learn-from-home configurations to ensure a secure and stable environment.
Basic Hardware Checklist
Recommended Specifications for Canvas/MySJSU/SJSU@Work/etc.
Recommended Specification for Zoom
Best Practices for Zoom
How to Check Computer Specifications
Having problems with your home learn/teach/work setup? The SJSU IT Service Desk can help! We’re extending our campus service and support to your home by supporting personal home devices and home networks. Just because you aren’t on campus or aren’t on your office computer doesn’t mean we can’t help.