All first-year College of Social Science (CoSS) students are encouraged to meet with an ACCESS Advisor during their first two years at SJSU.
The purpose of advising for first-year students is to establish a partnership between ACCESS and CoSS students where they can not only find a place to receive academic advising and guidance, but also find a source of continued support throughout their time here at San Jose State University. ACCESS advisors are knowledgeable, approachable, and caring advisors who aim to make first-year students’ transition to college as smooth as possible. Ultimately, we want first-year students to feel welcomed and supported.
Expected Learning Outcomes:
- Understand General Education (GE) requirements.
- Finalize their current schedule (if applicable) and plan for future semesters.
- Identify at least one resource to utilize during thier semester.
- Learn to access and utilize academic tools
- MyGPA apps such as: MyPlanner, MyRoadmap, MyProgress
- Understand when to meet with ACCESS advisors vs. major advisors
First-year students will be contacted via a campaign through Spartan Connect and be given access to a canvas shell. In the canvas shell, students can learn about various topics essential to know as a new SJSU student.
- SJSU Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Preparing for the Semester
- First Day as College Student
- Your Full first Week of Classes
- Time-Management & Communicating with Professors & Advisors
- Preparing for Midterms
- How to change your major
- Making Friends in College and Networking
- Advising 101
- Next Semester Course Registration
- Professional Development
- Finals Preparation
- Finals Campus Resources