First-Time Probation Students
(SJSU Cumulative GPA Below 2.0)
If this is your first time on University Academic Probation you must complete the following steps:
- Attend one of our mandatory ACCESS to Success workshops, register here.
In the workshop, we will review the following:
- ACCESS to Success Program
- Complete and sign the ACCESS to Success agreement
- Schedule meetings with a Peer Mentor for the semester
- Ask questions
Enroll in our ACCESS to Success Canvas Shell and meet weekly with a Peer Mentor.
An invitation to the Canvas shell has been sent to all students via there listed preferred email
- Complete the Self Assessment
- Sign up with a Peer Mentor via the SpartanConnect Scheduling system on Canvas.
Meet with an ACCESS Academic Advisor twice during the semester
- Invitations will be sent out via email, please be on the lookout
- Dates for first meeting will be September 21-October 16
- Dates for second meeting will be October 26-November 13
**See Canvas for most up to date changes. **
(SJSU Semester GPA Above 2.0, SJSU Cumulative GPA Below 2.0)
If you are on Continued University Academic Probation you must complete the following:
- Required University Probation advising appointment with an ACCESS Advisor at least once during the semester during
- Optional meetings with a Peer Mentor for the semester.
Further communication will be sent to your SJSU student e-mail.
What is Academic Probation?
Undergraduate students are placed on academic probation if, at any time, their SJSU cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. The ACCESS Success Center’s mission is to provide support and guidance to students on probation to help them return to good academic standing.
At the end of the semester, students who were on probation will be placed in one of three categories:
Good Academic Standing: The student’s semester GPA is above 2.0, which is high enough to bring the SJSU cumulative
GPA to 2.0
Continued Probation: The student’s semester GPA is at 2.0 or above, but it is not high enough to bring the SJSU cumulative GPA to 2.0. The student will be notified that an appointment with an ACCESS advisor is required at least one time during the Fall 2020 semester
Disqualification: The student’s semester GPA is below 2.0 (which will also bring the cumulative GPA down). An ACCESS advisor will reach out to all disqualified students to discuss options and next steps to become reinstated.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What will happen if I do not follow the probation protocol above?
Your Probation Advising Hold will remain on your account. You will be unable to register for future classes until grades are posted for the semester AND until you meet with an ACCESS Advisor.
What if I cannot attend the ACCESS to Success workshop dates being offered?
Your Probation Advising Hold will remain on your account. You will be unable to register for future classes until grades are posted for the semester AND until you meet with an ACCESS Advisor. We recommend making this workshop a high priority.
What should I bring with me to the ACCESS to Success workshop?
Tablet or laptop or a notepad.
How can I make an appointment to meet with an ACCESS Advisor to address my hold?
Appointments can be made by logging on to canvas or your Spartan Connect account.
Who can I contact for more information?