B.S. in Civil Engineering
The department mission is to serve society, the public sector, and private industry by:
- Providing undergraduate and graduate civil engineering education that prepares students to apply engineering knowledge to the diverse issues of resources, infrastructure and the built environment;
- Contributing to the development and codification of knowledge through faculty scholarship; and
- Meeting the needs of working professionals for continuing education.
- Program Educational Objectives
- Student Outcomes
- Performance Criteria
- Apply Online
- General Requirements
- 4-Year Plan
- Technical Electives
- Course Articulation
- SJSU Catalog
- Former Students Returning [pdf]
The Civil Engineering Bachelor of Science degree program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org (https://www.abet.org/), under the General Program Criteria and the Civil and Similarly Named Engineering Programs Program Criteria.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) are broad statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that the program is preparing the graduates to achieve.
The PEOs prepare students to:
- Function effectively as civil engineering professionals in industry, government or other organizations, designing, improving, leading and implementing efficient civil engineering practices.
- Provide solutions to engineering problems that account for economical, environmental, ethical, and societal considerations as well as professional standards, by applying acquired engineering knowledge.
Apply their broad civil engineering education to effectively communicate civil engineering concepts orally and in written forms to project stakeholders.
Utilize formal and informal learning opportunities to maintain and enhance technical, personal and professional growth.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Demonstrate an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Demonstrate an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Demonstrate an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- Demonstrate an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
|Student Outcome||Performance Criteria|
|1||Demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics and science to solve complex engineering problems.|
|1, 2||Demonstrate an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems in the following Civil Engineering Areas: Construction, of the Environmental, Geotechnical, Structural, Transportation, and Water Resources.|
|2, 4||Demonstrate an ability to design engineering systems, components, or processes through the use of engineering judgment that considers public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, economic, and sustainability factors through the use of professional behavior, professional tools and ethics.|
|3||Demonstrate an ability to communicate ideas, calculations, and engineering judgment through visual, written, and oral communications for a wide range of audiences.|
|5||Demonstrate an ability, as a member of a multidisciplinary team, to create an inclusive
environment, demonstrate leadership, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
in a professional manner, and
contribute discipline-specific input.
|6||Demonstrate an ability to conduct and design experiments and use engineering judgement to collect, analyze, interpret data and draw conclusions.|
|7||Demonstrate awareness of the role of professional civil engineering organizations, advanced education, and licensure in professional engineering practice, as well as an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge using appropriate learning strategies.|