Admission application is only done online.
- Domestic Applicants: Steps to Admission (Outlines the steps for applying to SJSU as a domestic applicant.)
- International Applicants: Steps to Admission (Outlines the steps for applying to SJSU as an international applicant.)
Follow the listed deadline for your intended major. Be sure to check carefully as deadlines may vary by program.
Students who possess a BS in Civil Engineering and have a GPA above 2.7 will be admitted as a Classified student.
Those who intend to apply for graduate study in Civil and Environmental Engineering but either do not hold a baccalaureate in Civil Engineering from an ABET-accredited program (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) or have a GPA of less than 2.7, may be admitted as a Conditionally Classified student and must satisfy certain conditions in order to become a Classified student.
Please see below for details.
BS in Civil Engineering with a GPA between 2.5 and 2.7:
- Students will be admitted as a Conditionally Classified student with a requirement to make grades of "B or better" in their first two graduate-level (200-level) courses. This condition is expected to be cleared as promptly as possible.
Other Engineering Undergraduate Majors:
- Students with a GPA ≥ 2.70 will be admitted as a Conditionally Classified student with the requirement to make up Civil Engineering courses from a personalized list of potential courses available on the Makeup Requirements page.
- Students with 2.50 ≤ GPA < 2.70: admitted as a conditionally classified student with a requirement to make grades of "B or better" in their first two graduate-level (200-level) courses and make up courses a personalized list of potential courses available on the Makeup Requirements page.
Other Undergraduate Majors:
- Students with GPA ≥ 2.70 may be admitted as a conditionally classified student with a requirement to make up courses from list to be determined. Students with non-engineering degrees must have completed the necessary Math and Science courses prior to being accepted into the program. See the list of Makeup Requirements.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose native language is not English and whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English must demonstrate competence in English. SJSU does not accept English-medium of instruction as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam such as TOEFL, IELTS, the Pearson’s Test of English, or other English language proficiency tests. Letters from applicants or institutions will not be accepted. Note that scores lower than the minimum will not be accepted and waivers will not be given for lower scores. Also note that a few of our graduate programs do require a higher minimum score than what is posted by the university on the Test Requirements page.
|English Language Proficiency Examination||Minimum Score|
|TOEFL iBT (Internet-based)||80|
|Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS)||6.5|
|Academic Pearson Test of English (PTE)||53|
*GRE is not required
Most answers to your general questions can be found under our Prospective Students section. For your admission status, please check MySJSU[BROKEN LINK]. Contact your evaluator with specific questions on your admission classification or transcript evaluation. Please include your student ID, if one has been assigned, for faster service and allow some turnaround time to get a response. Emails are generally replied within 48 hours. However, some questions may be forwarded for specialists to reply and may take longer to answer.
Most answers to your general questions can be found under our Current Students section. For a candidacy or graduation status, please check MySJSU[BROKEN LINK]. However, if you find that you still have questions, please feel free to email/call your evaluator with specific questions on candidacy or graduation. Please include your student ID for faster service and allow some turnaround time to get a response. Emails are generally replied within 48 hours. However, some questions may be forwarded for specialists to reply and may take longer to answer.
Please make sure you detail all inquires in full and also remember to provide valid contact information for our staff to assist you. Before contacting us, please make every effort to find the information you are looking for through our website.
If you have further questions please contact the department at:
- Email (Preferred Method): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (408) 283-7500
- Fax: (408) 924-2477
Note: For the latest on application requirements, check Graduate Test Requirements page.