Program Education Objectives, Outcomes and Goals
The Software Engineering Bachelor of Science degree program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Program Criteria and the Software and Similarly Named Engineering Programs Program Criteria
Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of our program is to ensure that the graduates are fundamentally solid, practical, dependable, collaborative, and professional. Specifically, three to five years after graduation, the successful graduates will have
- Engaged in successful professional practices in their chosen discipline
- Demonstrated professional and personal leadership by pivoting and making decisions in the face of ambiguity in their workspace and the society
- Demonstrated effective collaboration and communication in the work environment and beyond
- Utilized formal and informal learning opportunities to maintain and enhance technical excellence and professional growth
- Demonstrated ethical and professional responsibility by recognizing and nurturing it across the board
Student Learning Outcomes
To prepare the students for a successful professional and personal life, the BS Computer/Software Engineering program is designed to produce computer/software engineering graduates who have attained the following student learning outcomes at the time of graduation:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
University Learning Goals
San José State University graduates will have developed:
- Depth of knowledge required for a degree, as identified by its program learning outcomes.
Broad Integrative Knowledge
- Mastery in each step of an investigative, creative or practical project (e.g. brainstorming, planning, formulating hypotheses or complex questions, designing, creating, completing, and communicating).
- An understanding of the implications of results or findings from a particular work in a societal context (e.g. social or economic implications of a scientific finding).
- Students graduating with a baccalaureate degree will have demonstrated an understanding of critical components of broad academic areas, the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences and their integration.
- Fluency in the use of specific theories, tools, technology and graphical representation.
- Skills and abilities necessary for life‐long learning: critical and creative thinking, effective communication, conscientious information gathering and processing, mastery of quantitative methodologies, and the ability to engage effectively in collaborative activities.
- The ability to integrate theory, practice, and problem‐solving to address practical issues.
- The ability to apply their knowledge and skills to new settings or in addressing complex problems.
- The ability to work productively as individuals and in groups
Social and Global Responsibilities
- The ability to act intentionally and ethically to address a global or local problem in an informed manner with a multicultural and historical perspective and a clear understanding of societal and civic responsibilities.
- Diverse and global perspectives through engagement with the multidimensional SJSU community.