CPT Guide for CMPE/SE International Undergraduates
NEW IMPORTANT NOTE
Due to the complications of adding students to CMPE 180 after the add deadline, the CMPE Department will not allow students to enroll into CMPE 180 AFTER the add deadline. The add deadlines are posted on the Registration Calendars for each term. This means you will need to find an internship, get an offer letter, and submit it to your advisor BEFORE the add deadline. Submitting your form on the add deadline will not guarantee you to get your documents reviewed and approved with an add code to CMPE 180 sent to you before 4:30 PM that day. The CMPE Department will not make any exceptions.
Prep for STEP 4: Search for internships & go to Career Fairs and the Career Center for support. You should search for summer internships in the fall semesters.
Step 1: Review your eligibility
Step 2: Review the CPT Tutorial
Step 3: Confirm with your major department that they offer an internship course
ANSWER: Yes, the course is CMPE 180 (3 units). Offered every Fall, Spring, & Summer.
Step 4: Secure a job offer (offer letter)
- Make sure the offer letter follows the guidelines from the ISSS CPT page exactly. Any missing information can cause your CPT request to be delayed or denied.
- Common missing information:
- job description of your day-to-day responsibilities (shouldn't be overly vague)
- physical address where you specifically will work (address will not suffice if it is at the top or bottom of the letterhead as this can mean company headquarters and not where you specifically will work.)
- start and end date (MUST meet the within the specified duration noted on the ISSS CPT page)
- If you have any concerns or doubts about your offer letter, please contact ISSS.
Duration of Internship
|CPT Application Period for ISSS
Application Deadline for CMPE Department
|December 15, 2022 - May 23, 2023
|December 1, 2022 - March 16, 2023*
|February 20, 2022
|May 24, 2023 - August 16, 2023
|April 1, 2023 - July 1, 2023
|June 7, 2023
|August 21, 2023 - December 15, 2023
|July 15, 2023 - October 2023
|September 15, 2023
*(last day to add classes) posted as of 9/21/22
*CMPE Department deadline is on the last day to add courses for the semester (see Registration Calendars).
Step 5: Gather CPT documents to send to major advisor
- ISSS CPT Request Form (online form)
- 1.1 Undergrad CPT_coversheet_180 form.pdf
- Copy of SJSU unofficial transcript from MySJSU
- Offer letter with job description
Use the ISSS CPT Request Form to attach your 1.1 Coversheet/CMPE 180 form, unofficial transcript, AND the offer letter (w/ job description) for review.
Note: If you have any mistakes to your forms or need to make changes or edits, you will need to cancel your CPT Request Form and start over to attach the updated documents. Your advisor reviewing the form will let you know if there are any mistakes or information that need to be corrected or updated.
- Who to send ISSS CPT Request Form (online) and other documents to in the CMPE Department:
- Name of departmental advisor: Monica Serna -OR- Martin Alvarez Lopez
- Academic department: Computer Engineering
- Title: Academic Advisor
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 6: Your major advisor will conduct a review of your CPT request
- If approved, you will receive an email with your signed ISSS CPT form and an add code (AKA permission number) to CMPE 180-01.
- If denied, you will receive an email stating that you did not meet the eligibility requirements.
- If unsigned, you will receive an email requesting you to update documents or to answer some further questions. Please read the email carefully.
Step 7: If approved, enroll into CMPE 180 immediately.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the complications of adding students to CMPE 180 after the add deadline, the CMPE Department will not allow students to enroll into CMPE 180 AFTER the add deadline. The add deadlines are posted on the Registration Calendars for each term. This means you will need to find an internship, get an offer letter, and submit it to your advisor BEFORE the add deadline. Submitting your form on the add deadline will not guarantee you to get your documents reviewed and approved with an add code to CMPE 180 sent to you before 4:30 PM that day. The CMPE Department will not make any exceptions.
Step 8: Your ISSS CPT form and offer letter documents will automatically be sent to ISSS after an major advisor signs your form.
- ISSS will only start processing your paperwork after you have enrolled into CMPE 180.
- ISSS will handle SSN and I-20s
Frequently Asked Questions
How many units can I take while doing an internship?
12-13 units. We do not recommend doing an internship if you are taking over 13 units as this can significantly impact your academic performance and time that you can dedicate to your coursework. You are a student first and your primary goal is to do well in your courses to graduate with the knowledge you need for the industry.
Is there a limit on the number of CPT authorizations? Or a limit on the number of times I can take the CMPE 180 course?
Although gaining practical training is a valuable complement to a student's education, the primary purpose of F-1 status is full-time study. F-1 students are encouraged to focus on their academic success and ensure that CPT employment activities do not interfere with the primary purpose of their stay in the U.S.
*The CMPE Department does not currently limit the number of times CMPE or SE undergraduates may enroll in the internship course or the number of CPT authorizations as long as it does not interfere with your academic work. If your academic performance is negatively affected by doing these internships, we may deny future CPT requests until you bring up your academic performance.
Am I required to take the an internship class to receive CPT authorization?
Yes. All F-1 students looking to join an internship must enroll into the internship class (CMPE 180) in order to be approved for CPT.
Can I have an on-campus job and do an internship at the same time?
Per Computer Engineering Department policy, a student cannot participate in both a CPT internship and an on-campus job. You will need to confirm that you are not working on-campus and that you do not plan to add an on-campus job while doing a CPT on the first page of the CMPE 180 coversheet.
Does the internship course, CMPE 180, count towards program requirements?
This course does not count as a program requirement.