Learn more about SJSU's academic advising vision, student expectations, advisor responsibilities, advisor survey results, and more.
- SJSU Academic Advising Vision, Mission and Values [pdf]
- SJSU Advisor and Student Expectations and Responsibilities [pdf]
- Spring 2020 Student and Advisor Survey Results [pdf]
Advising Summit - March 5th, 2021
video recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zCyl9wpFRc
February 2021 - CSU Graduation Initiative 2020 Briefing Document: Focus on Advising
Advising Summit - December 4th, 2020
Video recording: https://youtu.be/Wb16trXWvMg
Advising Summit - October 2nd, 2020
We have listed links to the Advising Summit presentation for all of our SJSU Undergraduate Academic Advising colleagues who were unable to join us on Oct. 2nd.
October 2, 2020 Advising Summit - Part I (Goals/Strategies, Spring 2020 Student and Advisor Survey Presentations): https://youtu.be/ymmYgj2_S48
October 2, 2020 Advising Summit - Part II (Discussion and Wrap-up): https://youtu.be/_M52yeyAYqA
Professional Development: Summer Academy- June 1st, 2020
We have listed links to the various presentations for all of our Undergraduate Academic Advising SJSU colleagues who were unable to join us at our June 1st Summer Academy.
- Basic Needs/SJSU Cares presented by Marko Mohlenhoff and Victoria Sexton
- Access Password: 2v?P1=X@
- Black Student Success presented by Jahmal Williams
- Career Readiness Resources for Academic Advisors presented by Anita Manuel and Sandra DeLeon
- Access Password: 8k*uL&?#
- This short survey to better identify your needs and ideas for partnerships
- Links to
- Faculty Advising: Things I Wish I Knew presented by Colleen Haight
- First Year Math and English Placement presented by Jessica Shillings
- Access Password: 6v%Xx55
- Juntxs (Together) A Student Affairs and Academic Affairs Collaborative for Latinx Student Success presented by Lilly Pinedo Gangai
- Strategies for Successful Online Advising presented by Michael Randle and Valerie Chapman
- Access Password: 6j?@C2f9
- Research Informed Practices That Increase Belongingness and Decrease Marginality in Student-Advisor Interactions with Undocumented Students presented by Ana Navarrete Avina and Kathy Wong(Lau)
- Utilizing Spartan Connect for Student Success presented by Tony Jaconette
Information for Campus Advisors
Why should students have all the fun? This webpage is dedicated to supporting Faculty and Staff Advisors on campus by providing helpful information to aid in the advising process. Please find a list of useful links for advisors to the left.
Academic Senate and CSU Executive Order Information
- The Academic Senate's Policy webpage is a great place to find specific information about new and old policies enforced at SJSU.
- Campus-wide and campus specific executive orders from the Chancellor's office can be found at the Cal State Executive Order webpage.
Forms and Petitions Students Require
Academic Forms - Forms maintained by the Office of the Registrar, including but not limited to:
- Audit Option
- Change of Major/Minor
- Credit by Exam
- CR/NC Option
- Excess Units
- Graduation Application
- "I" Extension
- Late Drop/Enrollment Requests
- Leave of Absence
- General Education and Graduation Requirements
- Undergraduate Petitions
- Graduate Forms - Forms from Graduate Admissions and Evaluations.
- Open University Forms - Forms for students taking courses through Open University
How to Find GE Courses Offered Each Semester
Core GE, SJSU Studies, American Institutions, MUSE courses, and other information about General Education Requirements and courses can be found online in the schedule of classes each semester. You can find static links to this webpage for each semester at the links below:
Please double check the year for each semester, as they are each updated yearly when the new schedule of classes comes out (therefore the link to Summer may link to the GE information for LAST summer, not this coming summer if the new schedule of classes has not yet come out).
How to Place and/or Lift a Hold on Student's Account
In order to be able to place and lift holds on a student's account, faculty and staff must attend a training put on by the CMS Training Team. Quick steps on how to place/remove holds may be found at the IT Help Desk Tutorials
How to Run a My Progress report
In order to run a My Progress report (a portion of Peoplesoft that allows faculty and staff to see which requirements a students has met, and those he/she has not yet met) faculty and staff must attend an Academic Advising training put on by the IT Help Desk. Instructions on running the report may be found on IT Help Desk tutorials
If you find an error with a student's MyProgress, please file a discrepancy report so that the appropriate staff can look into the issue.
Online General Education Information
Schedule of Classes GE Information
General Education Info - Includes:
- Intro to GE
- Overview of Requirements
- List of Majors with Exceptions
- Listing of GE courses for the current semester (Core, Am. Inst., & SJSU Studies)
- MUSE Courses
- Previous GE Requirements
General Education (GE) - Requirements Overview - Includes:
- Distribution of Requirements
- Explanation of Requirements
- Explanation of GE Program
SJSU Calendars and Schedules
- Academic Calendars
- Application Dates and Deadlines
- Athletics Schedule
- Center for Faculty Development Event Calendar
- Final Exam Schedule
- Registrar's Calendars
- SJSU Event Center Schedule
- SJSU General Campus Event Calendar
- SJSU Student Event Calendar
- Student Fee Due Dates
Information and resources designed to assist faculty in their teaching, research and management responsibilities. Additional resources are available on the Faculty Affairs website.