A philosophy minor is compatible with any other major, and can be an especially meaningful
complement to such majors as nursing, psychology, business, engineering, journalism
and justice studies.
The minor requires 18 units of Philosophy coursework, at least nine of which must be upper-division (courses numbered 100 or higher). This means that if you have taken Philosophy courses to satisfy GE requirements, you may be much of the way to a Philosophy minor!
18 units required, on advisement, of which 9 units will be upper division. (Total Units: 18)
Although there are no other restrictions, we recommend that minors take a one-year sequence in the history of philosophy (70A and 70B), in order to acquire a solid foundation in this field and adequately prepare for the upper-division courses.
- Step 1: Check the H&A Student Student Success Center's guidelines for declare/change/add the Philosophy Major. Determine if you currently have under or over 90 units of coursework.
- Step 2: For under 90 units, you only need to download a PDF of your unofficial transcript. For over 90 units, in addition to the unofficial transcript, you will also need: your current Minor Form (or your MyProgress report), and your new Minor Form (Philosophy).
- Step 3: Download the Philosophy Minor Form [pdf] and complete as much as possible before meeting your advisor.
- Step 4: Meet with your Philosophy minor advisor.
- Step 5: Complete the Major/Minor Action Form DocuSign. You may reach out to Truc Tran for information regarding the DocuSign packet.