Sign Up For Program Updates
New Program - Master of Design
Our new Master of Design (MDes) program is a two-year, hybrid format program that focuses on current, emerging, and experimental professional practices with distinct specializations in Experience Design and Animation.Master of Design
New Program - MSSE, Specialization in Enterprise Technologies
Join professional students in an unmatched educational experience with the MS in Software Engineering, Specialization in Enterprise Technologies. Prequalify today.MSSE in Enterprise Technologies
New Program - Higher Education Teaching Certificate
The Higher Education Teaching Certificate program provides graduate-level coursework and classroom experience to current and future higher education instructors.Higher Education Teaching Certificate
Add to your nursing credentials and further the care you offer with the Nursing Specialty Advanced Certificate program. A minimum of two courses in wound, ostomy, and/or foot and nail can be taken within one and half years (may skip one semester) and are required to receive this certificate.
As a student working towards the Nursing Specialty Advanced Certificate, you have the option to complete classes in wound, ostomy, foot, and nail. Students can take wound and ostomy classes in spring and fall.
The foot and nail course is open for enrollment in the fall only that prepares students to take the Certified Foot Care Specialist (CFCS) competency exam offered by the American Foot Care Nurses Association to become a Certified Foot Care Specialist (CFCS).
The program also prepares nurses to take the Certification Board exams and become certified as a wound care nurse (CWCN®), an ostomy care nurse (COCN®), a foot care nurse (CFCN®), or a wound ostomy nurse(CWON™).
Each course incorporates theory, psychomotor skills, and clinical practice into its learning to deepen your knowledge and skills.
There is also the option of taking only one course but without the Advanced Certificate.
Flexible hybrid program
Classes are offered both online and in person. Each class includes 20 hrs of in-person, hands-on learning experiences and 45 hours of clinical preceptorship training.
Academic and industry experts provide students with an industry-aligned curriculum and transferable practical knowledge and skills.
All the courses in the Nursing Specialty Program follow a curriculum blueprint outlined by the Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing Society (WOCN) Accreditation Manual. For more information on accreditation and certificates, including the CFCS visit W&O Accreditation.
California is one of the highest-paying states for registered nurses, according to trustedhealth.com, and San Jose is listed as one of the top-paying cities. The Nursing Specialty Advanced Certificate has the potential to increase your salary.
- Registerednursing.com states that the employment outlook for a wound care nurse looks great, and there is a high demand for this specialty in various settings. It also mentions that nurses with advanced certifications often make an average of $9,000 more a year.
- According to the American Foot Care Nurses Association, there are many benefits to receiving your Certified Foot Care Specialist (CFCS) certificate, including advanced knowledge, greater job opportunities, and the potential for a higher salary.
Apply for the Program
- Admission Requirements
- Be a registered nurse (RN) with a Baccalaureate degree or; have a Bachelor’s with a major in nursing or; be an RN with a Bachelor’s degree in another field.
- One year of RN clinical nursing experience following RN licensure.
- No GRE required
*Students must carry their own professional liability insurance before taking a practicum
*Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission into the program.
For more information, visit W&O Admissions.
- How to Apply
- Create an application via Cal State Apply
- Pay the program-specific application fee. All three of the specialty certification Care programs require a $100.00 application fee (in addition to the Cal State Apply submission fee) once accepted.
For more information, visit W&O Admissions.
- Application Deadlines
Application deadline for students:
- Application Deadline: May 20, 2023*
- Document Deadline: May 20, 2023*
*These dates are not final and are subject to change.
- FAQFor a full list of FAQs, visit the W&O FAQ.
Sign up to receive program updates.
With our Master of Science, Nursing, Concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), you have the opportunity to continue your full-time nursing career while achieving one of the highest degrees in professional nursing. 40 units and five semesters to complete this degree.
Contact InformationEmail us