Apply to Graduate

Students must be within two semesters of satisfying degree and University requirements for their undergraduate major to be eligible to apply for graduation. 

College of Science Graduation Application Instructions (All Majors)

Step 1:

Confirm your expected graduation term with your department

Contact your major advisor to get your Graduation Plan with your remaining major coursework approved.

The College of Science does not accept approved graduation plans directly from students.

Step 2:

Submit a Graduation Application.

Apply to graduate by following the Office of the Registrar's "How to Apply" instructions.

Step 3:

Enroll (or confirm enrollment) in courses listed on your approved Graduation Plan to complete degree requirements.

CoS-SSC recommends students utilize the General Education (University Requirement) Advising service review and confirm University Graduation Requirement completion (GE, units, PE)

All steps must be completed by the Office of the Registrar Graduation Application deadline(s).

What's Next?

Review the Office of the Registrar's Application Central

Refer to your assigned Graduation Evaluator (based on last name and college) if you have questions regarding your Graduation Status.


Visit SJSU's Commencement webpage for more information regarding this term's commencement ceremony information.

Submitting a graduation application with the Office of the Registrar late may affect a student’s eligibility to participate in commencement ceremony. Students submitting late applications must contact for more information about participating in the College of Science's commencement ceremony.

Issues with MyProgress

Students MUST REVIEW MyProgress to identify any outstanding requirements (:35 seconds) and identify issues (“Red Squares”).

All “Red Squares” in MyProgress must be resolved before the end of the last semester otherwise there may be delays in awarding the degree. 
In some cases, additional documentation (equivalency or substitution forms, for example) may be required.

  • Refer to your approved Graduation Plan for more information regarding equivalency or substitution forms for major requirements
  • Refer to CoS-SSC ( regarding “Red Square” issues with MyProgress related to University Graduation Requirements (GE, units, PE)