Become a Transformative Educator!
As one of the most well-established public teacher preparatory schools in California, the Department of Teacher Education at the SJSU Lurie College of Education is committed to preparing highly qualified teachers who are ready to address the challenges of the 21st century and meet the needs of diverse student populations. If you are someone who:
- shares a vision of teaching grounded in an ethic of care
- has a commitment to social justice
- has a passion for engaging students in learning
then now is the time to take the next step in your teaching journey!
Teacher Education Announcements
- Dr. Tiffani Marie and Dr. Wanda Watson will join our Teacher Education Department as an assistant professor and associate professor, respectively, beginning in Fall 2021.
Beginning Summer 2021, Single Subject Credential Program students can also simultaneously complete our Master's in Teaching (MAT) and/or Critical Bilingual Authorization.
- Our Lurie College Impact Residency Fellowship provides up to $7,500 in scholarship support, mentorship during and after the program, a strong professional learning community of like-minded educators, and priority for residencies to candidates who are committed to becoming transformative educators for our region.
- Attend one of our upcoming information sessions for our multiple subject credential program, single subject credential program, MA in Teaching, MA in LACES, or bilingual authorization program to learn more about becoming a transformative educator, steps to apply, financial aid, etc.
Lurie College and SJSU Announcements
- 2020-2021 Impact Report - As we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic, our SJSU Lurie College of Education is positioned to lead. Read about the impact of our students, faculty, programs, and more from the past year.
- 2022 U.S. News and World Report Rankings - Lurie College moved up 33 spots in this year's rankings of Best Education Schools and is #2 among universities in the Cal State system, #4 among universities in the Bay Area, and #14 among universities in California.
- Financial Aid Opportunities - Visit this page to learn about the numerous scholarship and grant opportunities available through the college. The application process for scholarships takes place each spring semester.
- SJSU Lurie College of Education Blog - Our college-wide blog contains more announcements, opportunities, and news for and about Teacher Education students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Student and Faculty Spotlights
Recent graduate Julia Duggs co-presented "Freedom Dreaming: Ethnic Studies Teaching in the Secondary Grades" with Teacher Education faculty Dr. Luis Poza, Associate Dean Dr. Marcos Pizarro, and Social Studies Teacher Dr. Victoria Durán as part of the SJSU Lurie College K-12 Teaching Academy.
Dr. Roxana Marachi was quoted in the article "Instagram and teens: How to keep your kids safe" by the Associated Press.
Parents should also realize that it’s not a fair fight. Social media apps like Instagram are designed to be addictive, says Roxana Marachi, a professor of education at San Jose State University who studies data harms. Without new laws that regulate how tech companies use our data and algorithms to push users toward harmful content, there is only so much parents can do, Marachi said.
“The companies are not interested in children’s well being, they’re interested in eyes on the screen and maximizing the number of clicks.” Marachi said. “Period.”