Critical Bilingual Authorization
Our community has always been multilingüal. Long before laws have declared multilingüalism desirable, we were communicating in infinite ways. Now, it is the time to grow and expand, to make your city, California, the US, the world, rich with a language that honors experiences and legacies. ¡El bilingüismo es justicia!
The SJSU Lurie College of Education Critical Bilingual Authorization Pathway (CBAP), Bilingüismo y Justicia, prepares teachers to obtain an authorization to serve in dual immersion or bilingual school settings in California. The pathway specializes candidates in pedagogy, practices, and ability to identify linguistic assets and potential for students and empowers candidates to be changemakers in their own context.
Listen to Lurie College faculty Luis Poza and Eduardo Muñoz-Muñoz discuss Bilingüismo y Justicia in futher detail in our Innovations Podcast below.
Bilingüismo y Justicia Program Overview
- Fundamentos Críticos: Three bilingüal sections in foundations courses foster a critical lens to appraise bilingüalism and education in the world, in the US, in California, and in your community. Through these courses on (1) sociology of education, (2) language pedagogy, and (3) literacy development, we seek to empower candidates and feed the liberatory potential of multilingüalism.
- Comunidad Crítica Bilingüe: In our bilingüal seminar we engage with bilingüal possibilities and issues, embracing, nourishing, and challenging our perspectives and identities. We ambitiously envision a multilingüal world through our daily experience in the program. We commit to discussions using the full wealth of our language tools. Above all, we support one another. Somos una comunidad crítica.
- Experiencias en el Salón: Our program offers 2 semesters of field placement in bilingüal classrooms, supported by bilingual mentors and bilingüal supervisors. The field placement seminar where those experiences are discussed is integrated in the bilingüal seminar. Theory and practice go hand in hand to make a critical difference.
- Apoyos Bilingües Críticos: We care, deeply. The members of our community are suported with a variety of optional, student-centered, sustaining, and critical workshops on effective bilingüal communication and how to get the job you aspire to. Additionally, we push the rigor and sharpen our critical thinking with events like the bilingüal speaker series, or our professional development minigrants.
- Thursday, June 17, 12:30-1pm PDT
- Thursday, June 24, 5-5:30pm PDT
Meet Some Bilingüismo y Justicia Students
Fanny Camacho is earning her multiple subject teaching credential and bilingual authorization. Fanny was also a recipient of a California Association for Bilingual Education (CABE) grant.
Bilingüismo y Justicia students Rubby Barajas, Olivier Castañeda, Heather Simonovich, Stephanie Muñoz, Adriana Priego, Jazmin Mendez, and Raul Leon received grants to use towards professional development. Learn about how they utilized their grants during the COVID-19 pandemic and how the program has prepared them to become transformative bilingual teachers.
Equity-Driven Leadership for Dual Immersion Programs Webinar
As part of the Equity-Driven Leadership for Dual Immersion Programs Fall 2020 webinar series, Bilingüismo y Justicia and the CSU Fullerton Departments of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership teamed up to present “Building Partnerships Against the Bilingual Teacher Shortage."
Meet the Bilingüismo y Justicia Faculty
To learn more about the Critical Bilingual Authorization Program, Bilingüismo y Justicia, please contact email@example.com.