SJSU Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Programs
- The SJSU Liberal Studies program offers a traditional BA pathway, a BA with an Integrated Teacher Education Program (ITEP) focus, and three Spartan Accelerated Graduate Education (SAGE) pathways. SAGE pathways combine a Liberal Studies BA with a credential (Multiple Subject or Education Specialist) and a Master’s Degree (MAT). The ITEP and SAGE pathways reduce the number of units to earn these degrees, and provide students with a seamless road to a graduate career. All Liberal Studies programs with a credential include an option to earn a Critical Spanish Bilingual Authorization.
- The Department of Child and Adolescent Development also offers a BA with a Preparation for Teaching focus, which equips students with a solid foundation in theory and research while preparing them to later earn a teaching credential and teach at the elementary or middle school level.
This program is currently not admitting new students.
Our department offers a Minor in Education to students who are interested in education from a variety of perspectives, want to work with children in capacities inside or outside the classroom, or are interested in the following career paths:
- becoming a teacher
- working in the non-profit sector
- child advocacy work - law, social work, etc.
Minor Course Requirements
Anyone working in a diverse environment where understanding how individuals learn and process information will benefit from this minor. Successful completion of the minor will also enable students to earn 12 credits toward their multiple subject teaching credential.
- EDEL 102 - Psychological Foundations of Education
- EDEL 103 - Socio-Multicultural Foundations of Education
- EDTE 162 - Language/Literacy Development of Second Language Learners
- EDTE 190 - Health Education for Classroom Teachers
Service learning is often incorporated into EDTE 162 and the EDEL 103. Learn more about all four of these courses on the SJSU Catalog website.
Minor Program Advising
Students interested in the minor must request an advisement appointment with the Elementary Education Admissions Coordinator. To schedule an appointment, contact the Teacher Education Department at 408-924-3771.
More SJSU Lurie College of Education Helpful Undergraduate Resources
- Student Success Center - Utilize this space in Sweeney Hall 106 to meet with academic advisors, get writing support, attend workshops, and more.
- Connect with Lurie College - Connect with our social media profiles and visit our Lurie College blog to receive more news about academic and student life.