Applying for graduate school at San José State University requires a two-step process. Graduate applicants must meet both the minimum SJSU Eligibility requirements AND the MS ISE degree program requirements. 

Applications found to meet the University admission standards (GPA 2.5 and TOEFL or IELTS required level score) are referred to the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department. An applicant who satisfies university graduate admissions requirements, should meet the following basic admission requirements:

  1. A bachelor's degree in Industrial or Systems Engineering from an ABET-accredited University;
    - OR -
  2. A bachelor's degree in Engineering or Mathematical Sciences (including Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science) plus ISE courses specified by the Graduate Advisor to prepare for graduate work in the Department;
    - OR -
  3. A bachelor's degree in Natural Sciences plus ISE and MATH courses specified by the Graduate Advisor to prepare for graduate work in the Department.

For application details, please refer to the F.A.Q's.

ISE department evaluates referred applications and one of the following decisions is made:

  • admit to SJSU with approved MS degree objective (classified standing);
  • admit to SJSU conditionally on completion of specified requirements (conditionally classified);
    - OR -
  • not accepted into MS program

International Applicants

The universities of some countries, e.g., India and China (i.e., People's Republic of China), do NOT state on the transcript whether a degree has been conferred to the student and on which date the degree was conferred. Graduate Studies and Research of SJSU requires that all applicants from these countries submit a certified copy of their degree certificate (certified by the degree-conferring university) Provisional or Final to the Evaluation Service (i.e. Service). Please note that although it may be stated on the transcript issued by universities of these countries that all degree requirements have been fulfilled, you still must submit a certified copy of the degree certificate. If you do not have an official degree certificate yet either because you have not graduated yet or you have not received it, you should obtain a Provisional Degree Certificate.

Useful Links