Instructions for International Applicants
Defined as applicants who are applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa and currently reside abroad or applicants who currently hold an F-1 or J-1 visa and currently reside in the U.S.
*Refer to Graduate Admissions step-by-step instructions for international applicants.
Complete the international application online at calstate.edu/apply
After choosing San Jose State University and the term you are applying for, when selecting "source" select the following:
- Early Career MBA: San Jose Graduate > Business Administration (Early Career MBA)
- MBA for Professionals: San Jose Extension > Business Administration (MBA for Professionals - Special Session)
- MSA: San Jose Graduate > Accountancy
- MSF: San Jose Graduate > Finance
- MST: San Jose Extension > Taxation (Special Session)
If you initially choose the incorrect selection for "source", go to the "source" drop down menu and select "source" and then both selections will appear again to choose from.
You will receive an important email from GAPE (Graduate Admissions) in 7-10 business days which will include your nine digit San Jose State ID and instructions on how to set up your MySJSU account. If you do not receive your ID within that time period, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name, birth date, and mailing address for identity verification purposes.
Submit your official transcripts to GAPE
For transcripts from institutions in the United States and Canada
Electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com directly from your school(s).
Official transcripts (in sealed envelopes) can be mailed to Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations Office. Copies or opened transcripts are NOT accepted. Submit one transcript from ALL higher education institutions attended (even if you did not earn a degree).
San Jose State University – Graduate Admissions
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017
For transcripts or degrees earned outside of the US and Canada
GAPE requires that all applicants with international coursework provide a WES (World Education Services) evaluation for any educational work taken outside of the U.S., U.S. Territories & Canada. Documents must be sent directly to WES for evaluation. SJSU must receive the academic record and the evaluation directly from WES. A complete WES evaluation is required.
Check your MySJSU account frequently to review the items on your "to do" list and to monitor the status of your application. Your MySJSU account is the first and best place for information on your application status with GAPE. SJSU communicates almost entirely by messages with important and timely notices on admission, fees, financial aid, testing, transcript information, and deadlines. Department requirements are not listed on MySJSU.
Check your MySJSU account frequently to review the items on your "to do" list and to monitor the status of your application. Your MySJSU account is the first and best place for information on your application status. SJSU communicates almost entirely by messages with important and timely notices on admission, fees, financial aid, testing, transcript information, and deadlines.
For international applicants GAPE will place additional requirements on your "to do" list, these items may include:
- Copy of your passport and visa
- TOEFL or IELTS or Academic PTE (scores within the prior 2 years)
- Bank letter or statement
- Declaration of Finance (The Declaration must reflect at least the amounts below):
MS in Accountancy $55,503
MS in Taxation $37,355
Early Career MBA $47,511
MBA for Professionals $41,045
Certificate in Accounting Fundamentals $15,557
Application deadlines for Fall
- December 1st for MS in Accountancy
- April 1st for MS in Finance
- April 1st for MS in Taxation
- April 1st for Early Career MBA
- April 1st for MBA for Professionals
Document deadlines for Fall
- December 20th for MS in Accountancy
- April 20th for MS in Finance
- April 20th for MS in Taxation
- April 20th for Early Career MBA
- April 20th for MBA for Professionals
Application deadlines for Spring
- November 1st for MS in Taxation
- November 1st for MBA for Professionals
Document deadlines for Spring
- November 20th for MS in Taxation
- November 20th for MBA for Professionals
Lucas Graduate School program specific required documents
The documents for each program below should be sent directly to the Lucas Graduate School at: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please note that these items do not appear on your MySJSU "to do" list)