How to Change Your Name on SJSU Emails
Change Your Email Address
- Make the name change on MySJSU, instructions here.
- Wait up to 48 hours for your preferred name to update across the SJSU system.
- Open a Help Ticket with the IT Service Desk
You will need to submit:
- Reason: Update Email Address with Preferred Name
- Description: You can use the following template...
Dear IT Help Desk,
My SJSU ID number is #########. My current email address is email@example.com. I would like my email address updated to reflect my preferred name, please change it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click the Save button at the top of the page to submit the ticket.
- The IT Help Desk usually updates the email addresses within 72 business hours.
- Note on e-mail addresses
- E-mail address must stay within the limits of email@example.com
- If you have a popular name they may add a number to the end of your last name if the email address you are requesting is already taken.
Update Name, Keep Same Email Address
In some cases you may want to keep your email address the same and only update the "From" name displayed. Here are the steps to update your email display name.
- Login to your SJSU email account.
- Click the Gear icon on the far right.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Click the Accounts and Import tab, then click the edit info link to the right of the "Send mail as:" category.
- A window will pop up, select the empty box and type in your "preferred name" (how you want your name to be displayed), and then click the Save Changes button.
- You're all done! Your "Preferred Name" displays to the right of the "Send mail as:" category.