The Math Department invites speakers to give talks at our weekly Colloquium (Wednesday afternoons at 3). We encourage the students to attend these talks. We offer a combination of math talks, career talks as well as a workshop on applying to Ph.D. programs.
In addition to our Colloquium, there are many other talks and colloquia going on at other Bay Area institutions. Check their websites for more information. Here is a short list.
- Bay Area Math Adventures (BAMA) - usually Wednesday evenings (monthly)
- Math Department Colloquium at San José State University - usually Wednesday afternoons
- Math Department Colloquium at Santa Clara University - usually Tuesday afternoons
- SLMath Special Events - SLMath sponsors a variety of talks from public events which are accessible to everyone to very technical talks.
The students are also encouraged to attend mathematics conferences which have been including activities tailored for undergraduate students.
Local and National Mathematics Conferences
Here is a a list of some local and national conferences.
|Student Participation Opportunities
|Joint Math Meetings (AMS, MAA, SIAM)
|Posters and Talks; Special Talks for students; Book sales; social events for students
|Northern CA, NV and HI Section (MAA) Meeting
|Northern California Undergraduate Mathematics Conference*
|Talks; Very accessible to students
|Bay Area Discrete Math Day (aka: BAD Math Day)
|April and October
|College of Science Research Day**
|Talks and Posters; Most talks are accessible to students
|Biology and Mathematics in the Bay Area (aka: BaMBA)
* The speakers are mostly undergraduate students.
**All posters are results of student research at SJSU.