The Data Science specialization prepares students and professionals to investigate and summarize real-world data of all sizes, ask the right questions, find informative answers, and create visualizations that effectively communicate their results. Through a combination of theory and practical data analysis, students learn the foundations of extracting knowledge from data, verifying the utility of the information, and scaling their analysis to Big Data. The program emphasizes teamwork throughout the curriculum, as an essential part of preparing students for working in industry.
The specialization focuses on a variety of techniques and methods for analyzing data, including data preprocessing, exploratory analysis, unsupervised and supervised inference and learning, association analysis and pattern mining, Web search, text mining, recommender systems, social network and sentiment analysis, hypothesis testing, image recognition, time series analysis, deep learning, and data visualization. Students learn and practice the entire analytics process, from translating real-world objects into data to presenting information gleaned from the analysis.
Required Specialization Core (6 units, take both of the following classes)
Specialization Choice (3 units, take one of the following classes)
- CMPE 273 Enterprise Distributed Systems
- CMPE 275 Enterprise Application Development
- CMPE 281 Cloud Technologies
- CMPE 283 Virtualization Technologies
- CMPE 285 Software Engineering Processes
- CMPE 287 Software Quality Assurance and Testing
- CMPE 206 Computer Network Design
- CMPE 207 Network Programming and Applications
- CMPE 209 Network Security
- CMPE 279 Software Security Technologies