Muhammad Ali Center Athletes and Social Change Forum
Muhammad Ali Center Athletes and Social Change Forum July 2020
The Forum is designed to advance education, advocacy and research on the roles and contributions of athletes in promoting social change, human rights and development.
The theme of this annual event is: The role and Impact of Mentors and Mentoring on the Next Generation of Athletes and Social Change.
This year we will welcome scholars, practitioners, policymakers and advocates who are all working to advance the realm of athletes and social change through Muhammad Ali’s Six Core Principles: Respect, Confidence, Conviction, Dedication, Spirituality and Giving.
This Forum will also explore the following topics and considerations:
- The roles and responsibilities athletes have beyond the playing field.
- The ways athletes can serve as educators and advocates to address social problems within and outside of sports.
- How the global sporting community encourages or discourages athletes who work in the realm of social change.
- The roles educational institutions play in providing grounding for athletes to make the connections between athletics, academics and the community.
- The role and impact of both mainstream and social media on how athletes can affect social change.
- The intersection and convergence of athletes, sports, and politics.
Thursday, July 9th
8:30 – 11:30 a.m. PDT / 11:30 – 1:30 a.m. EDT
Friday, July 10th
5:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. PDT / 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. EDT