Program Learning Objectives (PLO's) for Geology Undergraduate programs
Program Learning Objectives
There are six Primary Learning Objectives (PLOs) for the B.S. Geology degree, the AS-T Geology degree, or Geology minor. Students who earn any of the aforementioned three degrees will possess the ability to:
- Develop the skill to read and accurately interpret topographic and geologic maps.
- Effectively communicate scientific ideas and results in writing.
- Use the fundamentals of chemistry, physics, and math to solve geologic problems.
- Classify and identify geological materials such as minerals, rocks, and fossils, and understand their relationships to each other and interacting earth systems.
- Visualize and comprehend geologic structures and processes.
- Understand how geologists measure deep time and reconstruct earth history.
The following geology courses focus on enhancing the student's abilities toward each respective PLO. Courses marked with an asterisk are used for assessment:
|PLO #||Introductory||Reinforcement||Capstone||University Learning Goals §|
|1||GEOL 1, 7, 28||125*||129*||#1|
|2||GEOL 1, 7, 28||120, 124*||129||#3|
|3||GEOL 1, 7||120*, 122*, 124, 125||129||#1, #3, #4|
|4||GEOL 1, 7, 28||120*, 122*, 124*, 125||129||#1, #3, #4|
|5||GEOL 1, 7, 28||122*, 124*, 125*||129||#1, #3|
|6||GEOL 1, 7, 28||124||129||#1, #2, #3, #4|
*Course used for assessment of PLO
§ University Learning Goal #5 is addressed through GE offerings. Within the B.S. Geology degree, Geology 1 and Geology 7 have assignments that address University Learning Goal #5.
The following table is the Geology Department's current assessment schedule for the six PLOs for the three undergraduate degrees:
Program Learning Objectives for B.S. Earth System Science
Students who earn the B.S. Earth System Science degree will be able to:
PLO 1. Explain interactions between geosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere, atmosphere (Earth
Systems) temporally and spatially;
PLO 2. Use scientific principles and methodology including quantitative and critical thinking skills to address complex Earth System issues and problems;
PLO 3. Investigate human interactions and perspectives of complex Earth Systems problems; and,
PLO 4. Communicate scientific perspectives on ESS issues.