COVID-19 Testing Information
Self-administered, Saliva-based PCR test
Symptomatic AND asymptomatic testing. No health insurance required. Available for SJSU students, staff, and faculty.
Student Wellness Center
- Monday - Friday between 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. during operating hours
- Located in the lobby of the Student Wellness Center
Student Union (Available starting Dec 1)
- Please visit the Student Union website for their operating hours
- Located on the 2nd floor of the Student Union - use the elevator next to the bookstore. The vending machine and drop off boxes are in front/outside of the elevator.
You must have a smartphone to access the test kit from the vending machine*. Please refer to this guide for step-by-step instructions [pdf] on how to dispense and activate your test kit. Test kits are available for pickup once a week for SJSU students, staff, and faculty.
*If you do not have a smartphone:
- Students - please call the Student Wellness Center at (408) 924-6122
- Employees - please contact University Personnel at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Click the tab on the Patient Portal “Get a ShieldT3 Covid-19 Test,” and scan the QR code on the vending machine screen using your smartphone camera that says “Dispense Test". Please check the machine for your dispensed test.
3. When you’re ready to provide a sample, you must activate the test kit in the Student Wellness Center Patient Portal by clicking the “COVID Test Self Collect Activation” tab.
4. Follow the instructions to connect your test kit with your health record on the Patient Portal. Failure to activate your test will prevent the lab from processing your sample
5. Collect your test sample. To collect a successful sample, please watch this video for step by step instructions (also available in Spanish). Do not eat, drink, chew gum, use mouthwash, or smoke within 60 minutes of taking the test. If your sample is rejected, you will have to retake the test.
Collect your test sample outside or at home. Please do not use public spaces such as bathrooms or hallways where you may expose others.
6. Drop off your completed test kit in the locked box next to the vending machine at the Student Wellness Center or the Student Union. Test kits from the drop boxes will be collected Monday - Friday. Test Kits are picked up daily at 2:30 p.m. and samples are only viable for 24 hours after the test is activated. If you drop off your sample after the pick up time, your test will be processed the next day. No drop-offs are accepted between Friday at 2:30 p.m. to Monday at 8:30 a.m.
You will receive a secure message from the Student Wellness Center Patient Portal via email when test results are ready to view. Log in to view your results, when available.
Visit the SJSU Health Advisories webpage for more information on the California State University policy and other vaccination updates.
- Email the Student Wellness Center at email@example.com
- Email University Personnel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 you should not come to campus and should not participate in this testing.
- Employees should contact our Leaves Unit for appropriate guidance and direction for next steps at Yazmin.Perez@sjsu.edu/(408) 924-2155, Elizabeth.Munoz01@sjsu.edu/(408) 924-2148), or Melanie.Nguyen@sjsu.edu/(408) 924-2243.
Mandatory Testing Protocol Instructions
Students who have received an approved vaccination exemption will be placed in testing protocol. Testing protocol safety strategies will shift based on COVID-19 Community Level data received from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
COVID-19 cases and related hospitalizations in Santa Clara County are currently at “Low” levels. The recommended safety measures for students in testing protocols during a Low Community level is as follows:
Beginning September 12, 2022, it is recommended and not required to take a weekly PCR test (every seven (7) days) as part of COVID-19 testing protocols. Pick up a COVID-19 test kit from the Shield T3 Vending Machines (Saliva based PCR test).
Students are strongly encouraged to complete their testing using the Shield T3 PCR Saliva Test kits. If students are submitting PCR test results completed at a site outside of campus (such as your own provider or a county site,) submit your results using this Qualtrics form. Submit test results from outside sites by 11:59 PM on Sundays.
PLEASE NOTE: COVID-19 community levels may fluctuate throughout the semester. Be prepared to stay flexible and ready to adhere to increased safety measures when needed. If Santa Clara County CDC metrics move from a lower to higher Community Level, SJSU will change safety strategies after giving one week’s notice and will move back to required testing.