Jurisdiction and Enforcement Authority
Memorandum of Understanding between the City of San Jose & SJSU
UPD is responsible for processing, investigating and prosecuting all crimes committed on SJSU property and grounds owned, operated, controlled or administered by the California State University.
By this agreement, UPD may call upon the San José Police Department to assist in the handling of major crimes, including, but not limited to Part 1 violent crimes as defined in California Education Code, Section 67381 (the Kristin Smart Campus Safety Act of 1998), Section 1.
UPD provides primary law enforcement services to the following areas:
- SJSU main campus
- SJSU President's house
- South Campus athletics facilities
- Recognized sorority and fraternity houses surrounding the campus
- Studies in American Language facility (384 S. 2nd St.)
- Art Metal Foundry (1036 S. 5th St.)
- International House (360 S. 11th St.)
- Spartan Shops Warehouse (1125 N. 7th St.)
- Spartan Shops Apartments (355 E. Reed St.)
- Child Development Center (430 S. 8th St.)
Because of their distance from the SJSU campus, the following locations remain under the jurisdiction of the San José Police Department:
- SJSU College of Business MBA Program (180 Rose Orchard Way)
- University Foundation (210 N. 4th St.)
- Spartan Shops Houses (380, 382, 386, 390, & 394 N. 4th St.)
Because of its distance from the SJSU campus, Moss Landing Marine Laboratories remains under the primary jurisdiction of the Monterey County Sheriff's Office, while UPD provides crime prevention services.
Officers meet all the requirements set forth by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) for all California law enforcement officers.
In addition, CSU Police Officers undergo training specially designed to meet the needs of the SJSU community.
Note: Documents in PDF format require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing.