Credential / MAT, Single Subject / Secondary Education
- Applicant Information Sessions
- How to Apply
- Program Overview & Deadlines
- Program Learning Outcomes
- Initial Eligibility and Requirements
- Program Variations
- Curriculum and Roadmaps
- Student Teaching
- COVID-19 Vaccination Status
- Additional Student Resources
For additional questions about current requirements, email luriecollege-
- Format: Evenings, full time or part time, primarily in-person
- Units: 40-45 (credential only); 46-51 (credential and MA in Teaching)
- Start date: Fall, Spring, or Summer
- Program length: Full time (3 semesters), part time (4-5 semesters), see program variations below
- Program cost: See SJSU Bursar's Office for current tuition rates
- Fall 2023 start: full time (in state): approximately $14,000
- Fall 2023 start: part time (in state): approximately $17,000+
- Application windows & deadlines:
- Fall: Open October 1; Close April 1 for international / F-1 Visa applications and May 1
for domestic applications
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Apply by March 1 for priority consideration
- Spring: Open August 1; Close October 1 for international / F-1 Visa applications and November 1 for domestic applications
- Summer: Open November 1; Close February 1 for international / F-1 Visa applications and April
1 for domestic applications
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Apply by March 1 for priority consideration
- Fall: Open October 1; Close April 1 for international / F-1 Visa applications and May 1 for domestic applications
Updates as of August 2023
- TEST FEE WAIVERS: The state has set aside money to cover the cost of teacher exam fees (via waiver or refund) through June 30, 2024, while funds last. This includes CSET, CBEST, CalTPA, LOTE, and RICA. See Teacher Exam Fee Waiver FAQ for further details.
GPA and Testing Requirements
To ensure the quality of our program and compliance with California standards, qualified candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree with at least a 2.5 cumulative undergraduate grade point average. If your cumulative GPA is below 2.5, you may meet the GPA requirement if your GPA calculated using the last 60 semester units or the last 90 quarter units of college-level coursework that you have taken is 2.5 or above. The GPA requirement for SAGE applicants is 2.75. International coursework will require additional evaluation steps. Visit the SJSU Graduate Admissions website for details.
You should begin to schedule your California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) and California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) as soon as you know you’re going to apply to this program. It can take time to prepare, receive your results, and retake if necessary. A complete list of admissions requirements can be found here [pdf].
Our Single Subject Credential Program requires 11 courses / 35-39 units. The three (3) semester sequence of courses is here [pdf]. Descriptions of all of the courses are available on the SJSU Catalog website. Those who are also earning an MA in Teaching can view the additional research and culminating experience requirements on the SJSU Catalog website.
While completing our credential program, teaching candidates will complete student teaching, which is a critical and exciting part of the process of becoming a transformative educator. Learn more about our student teaching resources and requirements on our Student Teaching webpage and learn about about the assessment process on our CalTPA webpage.
All SJSU students must submit proof of COVID-19 vaccinations & booster once admitted. Students may apply for a medical or religious exemption. See SJSU COVID 19 Vaccination Requirements for more information. PLEASE NOTE HOWEVER that nearly all school districts require teacher candidates to be vaccinated and do not accept medical or religious exemptions. If you are not vaccinated, it is likely that you will not be able to move forward to student teaching.
We highly recommend that everyone who is interested in applying to our Single Subject Teaching Credential program attend an applicant information session to meet our admissions and advising coordinator and learn helpful information about admission requirements, the application process, program options, tuition and fees, and testing information. Prior to attending an info session, review the Steps to Apply below.
If you have any questions prior to or following the info session, email luriecollege-
- Tuesday, January 30 from 3:30 to 5 PM PST
- Monday, February 12 from 5 to 6:30 PM PST
- Thursday, February 22 from 12 to 1:30 PM PST
- Monday, March 4 from 2 to 3:30 PM PST
- Monday, March 18 from 10 to 11:30 AM PST
- Tuesday, April 2 from 4 to 5:30 PM PST
- Thursday, April 18 from 5:30 to 7 PM PST
Step 1 | Attend an Applicant Information Session & Meet with Your Subject Area Advisor
- Attend an upcoming Applicant Information Session. These sessions provide an overview of the program, address questions and introduce you to advisors and potential future classmates.
- Contact your Subject Area Coordinator to schedule an appointment to complete the following requirements. The process and
availability for each advisor will vary.
- Please plan interview appointments at least 3 weeks prior to the application deadline. Some subject areas have particular windows in which they conduct interviews, mini lessons, portfolio reviews or auditions. These meetings are an essential step in the application process and require planning.
- English, in particular, has an early deadline for interviews that may be 5-6 weeks prior to the admission deadline.
Subject Area Coordinator Meeting
Step 2 | Create Your SJSU Application via CalState Apply
As you go through the application process, keep copies of everything you submit for your entrance application. You will need those documents when you apply for your preliminary credential after completing the program.
- Use the Single Subject Checklist to help organize your application materials.
Step 3 | Upload Your Program Materials to Your CalState Apply Application for the SJSU Teacher Education Department
In the "Program Materials" section of your CalState Apply application, upload all of the following:
Next Step | Admissions Decision
Congratulations - if you completed the above steps, you have successfully applied for our SJSU Single Subject Credential Program! After your application has been reviewed by the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions, which may take a few weeks, it will be referred to the Department of Teacher Education for review. Graduate Admissions may send an email regarding your application status and any next steps. Teacher Education may also require clarification or next steps. Some candidates are asked in for interviews with Teacher Education depending on their application status or program. Each stage of the review process can take some time depending on the number of qualified applicants and application status.
You can check the status of your Cal State Apply application by logging into your MySJSU account.
If you are accepted to the program, you will be notified by email/letter from the Single Subject Program Coordinator and/or Chair, Department of Teacher Education. You will be asked to acknowledge your acceptance (or decline) by joining an orientation and through review of Teacher Education policies and practices and Mission/Vision.
Once the above is completed, Graduate Admissions is notified and matriculation to the university can begin. All enrollment information to courses are sent via email from Teacher Education and Candidates can enroll once they have their account and course information. Each step can take some time. Since Teacher Education is expecting candidates, enrollment can occur closer to the Semester start if necessary.
Additional Student Resources
For information about advising, financial aid opportunities, registration, and more, visit our Student Resources webpage.