Schedule a 45-minute online tutoring appointment conducted via Zoom through our Online Reservation System for extensive help with your paper. If you are having difficulty using our online
reservation system, you can call us during our operating hours at (408) 924-2308 or
email us at email@example.com.
How do I make an online tutoring appointment?
- Visit sjsu.mywconline.com.
- If you haven't registered with the Writing Center before, you must register for the first time and fill out the registration form before logging in. If you already have an account, log in using your SJSU email address and the password you created for this account. With this account, you will be able to create, modify, or cancel an appointment.
- After logging in, make sure that the "Online Tutoring" option is selected from the menu of schedules to see available appointment times.
- Choose a date and time for your appointment from the openings available. Open appointment slots are white. Bright blue slots are already reserved by other students; navy blue slots indicate that the tutor does not work during that time. Gray slots are days and times that have already passed.
- Click once on the open appointment slot that you wish to reserve.
- When the new reservation window pops up, fill out all the information required (marked with a red asterisk). If you miss a section, the system will not accept your reservation. You will have to go back and type in everything again, so be sure that you fill out everything that is required!
- When you've completed the reservation form, click the create appointment button to complete the reservation process. Your reservation will now appear on the schedule. You will receive confirmation and reminder messages that will be sent to your SJSU email address.
- For more details, view our informational video about scheduling an online tutoring session.
How can I join my online tutoring session?
To join your online tutoring session, take the following steps.
- Login to your WCOnline account before the start of your session, and click on your yellow appointment box.
- Click the yellow highlighted Zoom meeting link in the tutor bio section of your scheduled appointment.
- If you’re signed into Zoom using your SJSU account, your session will start immediately. If you’re prompted to authorize yourself, please click “Sign In to Join” and authenticate yourself by following on-screen instructions.
- You will be in the waiting room for your session. Your tutor will admit you at the scheduled start time.
Having trouble joining your session? Check out our helpful guide.
What can I expect when I meet with my tutor?
Your tutor will begin by asking you some questions to set a brief agenda for the session.
You will let the tutor know what you need assistance with (e.g., grammar, idea development,
organization, APA formatting), and they will then focus on that area during the session.
Tutoring is a collaborative process, so you will have a dialogue with the tutor throughout
the session. You will read your writing aloud, and they will explain concepts about
writing to help you improve. You will take notes, brainstorm, and make suggested changes
throughout the session. Come to your appointment prepared to learn and engage with
your tutor. Be prepared to share your screen with the writing that you want to work on along with any other necessary materials
(e.g., the assignment sheet). Your audio must be working during an online tutoring session. At the end of your time together, the tutor will
recap what you covered and provide you with some concrete steps to move forward.
What are the tutoring hours for online appointments?
Our hours for online tutoring appointments are Monday-Thursday, 10:00-9:00 and Friday,
10:00-3:00 during the academic year (fall and spring semesters). We also offer online
tutoring during winter and summer sessions. Our current hours of operation are always
posted on our Contact Us page.
How many online tutoring appointments can I schedule?
You can schedule one 45-minute tutoring appointment per day, with a maximum of two
appointments made in advance per week. Students may cancel a session up until the appointment start time; students can schedule appointments up to one hour before the appointment start time. If you are a graduate
student working on a large project or are an AEC student who needs the accommodation
of extra tutoring time, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can schedule
one additional (third) tutoring session for you each week.
Do you have any other writing resources that I can use before/after my online session?
We have 100+ homegrown handouts created by our writing tutors. They have gone through a proposal process and multiple
revisions with Writing Center staff. Use these handouts to supplement your tutoring
sessions or your class materials. In addition to homegrown handouts, we also have
video tutorials on our YouTube channel.
How can I share my paper during an online tutoring appointment?
At the beginning of your session, the tutor will ask you to share your screen with them by using the screen share feature in Zoom. We strongly recommend that you have all documents ready to share by the start time of your appointment. Have your writing ready to share on the screen, along with any other necessary items (e.g., the assignment sheet/prompt).
What is the cancellation policy?
If you cannot make your scheduled appointment, you must cancel before the appointment is scheduled to begin. If you miss two appointments without canceling in advance, you will be blocked from the online scheduling system. You will then be limited to drop-in only sessions for the rest of the semester.
When you make an appointment, you agree to the Writing Center policies. Please read the Writing Center policies and procedures.