BS Aviation, Professional Flight
The Professional Flight option is designed for those students who wish to obtain basic and advanced pilot ratings with the overall goal of working as a professional pilot. These ratings are earned in conjunction with earning a Bachelor's degree in Aviation.
In this option, students acquire a strong foundation of the technical aspects of aviation in their coursework, while simultaneously earning FAA ratings through flight activities. All flight activities are conducted at affiliated FAA approved flight schools in the San José area.
The following courses are required for this option. To read a description of each course, please click on it. Please note that recurring changes to the course catalog may break or disable existing links. As an alternative, search the catalog for your desired course or visit the Advising page for more information.
- Of the 51 units required by the university, 24 may be satisfied by specified major and support requirements. Consult major advisor for details.
Preparation for the Major
- BIOL 10 - The Living World (3)
- PHYS 2A - Fundamentals of Physics (4)
- PHYS 2B - Fundamentals of Physics (4)
- MATH 71 - Calculus for Business and Aviation (3)
- BUS1 20 - Financial Accounting — OR — BUS1 20N - Survey of Accounting (3)
- BUS 90 (3)
- AVIA 01 - Introduction to the Aviation Industry
- AVIA 02 - Intro to Aviation
- AVIA 03 - Introduction to Private Pilot Part 141 Flight
- AVIA 31 - Aircraft Theory and Design
- AVIA 42 - Aircraft Systems
- AVIA 43 - Propulsion Theory
- AVIA 62 - Instrument Flight Techniques
- AVIA 63 - Instrument Rating Part 141 Flight
- AVIA 68 - Avionics and Airborne Communication
- AVIA 73 - Air Traffic Control
- AVIA 78 - Introduction to Aviation Management
- AVIA 91 - Aircraft Turbine Engines
- AVIA 110 - Aviation Meteorology
- AVIA 112 - Commercial Pilot Ground
- AVIA 113 - Commercial Professional Pilot Part 141 Flight
- AVIA 128 - Aviation Safety and Security
- AVIA 141 - Human Factors in the Aviation Environment
- AVIA 173 - Aviation Law
- AVIA 176 - Airline Operations and Management
- AVIA 178 - Airport Planning and Management
- AVIA 190 - Senior Capstone Seminar
- AVIA 193 - Aircraft Aerodynamics
- AVIA 194 - Pilot Avionics and General Aviation Systems
- AVIA 195 - Internship with the Aviation Industry
- BUS3 186 - Professional and Business Ethics
- GE Area 'S'
- ENGR 100W