BS Engineering Technology, Computer Network System Management (CNSM)
The BS Degree in Engineering Technology in Computer Network System Management is designed to prepare students for employment opportunities in the field of Computer Network Systems through gaining knowledge, skills and practical experience in network systems, operations, administration, and management.
Computer Network System Management is a diverse and expanding field which leads to careers including wireless communication and network systems and management. The graduates of this concentration could maintain the world-wide web through design, implementation, and maintaining computers and networks such as Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Internet/Intranet/Extranet, Data Communications Network, Computer and Network Security, and Mobile applications to protect from cyber-attacks.
This degree program meets certain University Requirements through approved major modifications. Please see the Major Exceptions area in the Policy and Procedures section of this catalog to identify the specific adjustments for this degree program or contact your major advisor for more details.
51 units required by the University, 24 may be satisfied by specified major and support requirements.
University Graduation Requirements
Core Lower Division General Education
Of the 39 units required by the university, 27 units may be satisfied by coursework outlined below. Courses that meet GE Areas Al, A2, A3 or B4 must be passed with a "C-" or better to meet the requirement. Consult with major advisor for details.
Upper Division General Education
Of the 9 units required by the university, 9 units may be satisfied by coursework outlined below. Consult with major advisor for details.
The 6 units of American Institutions (US 1-2-3) coursework shown below also fulfills GE Areas D2 and D3. Other courses meet the American Institutions requirement, but may not include additional GE areas. The American Studies (AMS 1A/B) and Humanities Honors (HUM 1A/B, 2A/B) programs both offer larger integrated packages that meet this requirement. Consult with major advisor for details.
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement
At SJSU, students must pass both the SJSU Writing Skills Test (WST) and a lOOW course. Additional information on the WST and exceptions to the GWAR.
A grade of C or better (C-not accepted) is required to meet graduation requirement.
Preparation for the Major
- CHEM 1A - General Chemistry (5)
- MATH 71 - Calculus for Business and Aviation (3)
- PHYS 2A - Fundamentals of Physics (4)
- PHYS 2B - Fundamentals of Physics (4)
- TECH 30 - Introduction to Python Programming (3)
- TECH 60 - Introduction to Electronics (3)
- TECH 63 - Analog and Digital Circuits (3)
- TECH 65 - Introduction to Networks (3)
- TECH 66 - Network Administration (3)
- TECH 67 - Introduction to Internet of Things (3)
- TECH 68 - Internet of Things Systems (3)
- TECH 136 - Software Quality Management (3)
- TECH 145 - Lean Manufacturing (3)
- TECH 170 - Connected Products Applications (3)
- TECH 171 - Network Security & Prevention Management (3)
- TECH 173 - Cloud Computing System Management (3)
- TECH 179 - Cyber Security System Management (3)
- TECH 190A - Senior Project I (3)
- TECH 190B - Senior Project II (3)
- TECH 198 - Technology and Civilization (3)
- BUS3 186 - Professional and Business Ethics (3)
- ENGR 100W - Engineering Reports (3)
- Complete six units from any advisor approved TECH or ENGR courses (6)
Business Minor (required for this major)
- BUS1 20 - Financial Accounting 3 unit(s)
- BUS2 90 - Business Statistics 3 unit(s)
- BUS3 160 - Fundamentals of Management and Organizational Behavior 3 unit(s)
- BUS3 186 - Professional and Business Ethics 3 unit(s) (S)
Complete one course from:
Technical Electives (2)