Eligibility Requirements

Federal Aid Eligibility

To be eligible for federal student financial aid, you must meet the following requirements. 

#1: Be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National 

You are a U.S. Citizen if:

  • You were born in the United States or certain U.S. territories, or
  • You were born abroad to parents who are U.S. citizens, or
  • You have obtained citizenship status through naturalization

If you were born in American Samoa or Swains Island, then you are a U.S. National.


#2:  Be an Eligible Non-Citizen (Permanent Resident, Refugee, Asylee, etc)

In addition, you'll need to:

  • Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN), unless you are from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) 
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25. 
    • U.S. law calls for male citizens to register within 30 days of turning 18 and immigrants to register within 30 days of arriving in the U.S. 
    • The Selective Service System has not now, or in the past, collected or shared any information which would indicate a man's immigration status, either documented or undocumented. The Selective Service System has no authority to collect such information, has no use for it, and it is irrelevant to the registration requirement. Consequently, there is no immigration data to share with anyone.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

DACA students may have a Social Security Number; however, DACA students are not eligible for federal student aid. DACA students may qualify for state aid. View California Dream Act for critieria and the California Student Aid Commission website for the Dream Act Application.

State and Institutional Aid

To be eligible for state and institutional aid, undocumented students must meet California AB 540 requirements. See the California Dream Act page for more details.

International Students

International students are not eligible for federal or state financial aid. However, there are a number of privately-funded scholarship programs for international students.


Programs Not Eligible for Aid

The programs below are not eligible for Federal or State Aid

  • Credential Pupil Personnel Services
  • Credential Library Media Teacher
  • Credential Special Session Library Media Teacher
  • Certificate in Strategic Management of Digital Assets and Services