California Military Department GI Bill Award Program
(Formerly the California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program)
If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Military, you may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies, and abilities.
How to Qualify
To qualify, you must:
- Be an active member who has served two (2) years in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia;
- Agree to remain an active member throughout the participation period in the program;
- Agree to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that you currently do not possess;
- Be enrolled in, registered at, or accepted to a qualifying institution;
- Agree to maintain enrollment of a minimum of three (3) academic units per semester, or the equivalent, at a qualifying institution as defined by California Education Code section 69432(1);
- Agree to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA; and
- Be a resident of Califoria for at least one year.
- Initial Applicants: The application opens on January 15. The Priority Deadline is April 30. After April 30, applications will continue to be accepted on a "first come-first served" basis until all awards are exhausted or until January 14, whichever comes first.
- Renewal Participants: The enrollment period for renewal participants is January 15 through June 1 of each year. Submit the Renewal Application and the Statement of Understanding (SOU), available on the links below, to the military department by June 1.