IRS Income Information
Obtaining a Tax Return Transcript
A tax return transcript may be available 2-3 weeks after the tax return has been filed electronically and accepted by the IRS, or 8-11 weeks after the tax return has been filed by paper.
A copy of the 1040 form is acceptable.
For more information, download the handout explaining IRS Data Retrieval [pdf] on the FAFSA.
Transcript Types and How to Order
Students/Parents may order IRS transcripts by requesting them on-line or by mail. The IRS provides the following transcripts:
- Tax Return Transcript
- Tax Account Transcript
- Record of Account Transcript
- Wage and Income Transcript
- Verification of Non-Filing Letter
It is very important to order the correct tax year!
For example: Students attending college during the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 academic year require transcripts from 2018 tax year.
Another example: For students planning to attend Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 academic year, transcripts from 2019 tax year will be required.
Obtain further instructions and description of each transcript by going to the IRS web page: Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them.
Non-tax filers may be required to provide verification that you did not file a federal tax return as part of the federal verification process.
- Dependent Non-Tax Filers do NOT need to provide a Verification of Non-Filing letter.
- Independent Non-Tax Filers MUST provide a Verification of Non-Filing letter.
Use IRS Form 4506-T [pdf] to request a Verification of Non-Filing letter from the IRS.
Guidelines to completing Form 4506-T
- Complete Lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form.
- Line 7: Select the checkbox on the right hand side for Verification of Non-filing.
- Line 9: In the year or period requested field, enter “12/31/2019″ for the Fall 2021 - Spring 2022 academic year.
- Above the signature line: Make sure that you check the signatory authority box.
- The non filer must sign and date the form and enter his or her telephone number.
- Mail or fax the Completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address or fax number provided on page 2 of form 4506-T.
- If the 4506-T information is successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter at the address provided on their request within 5 to 10 days.
- Submit the letter to the financial aid office; be sure you put your student ID number on the letter.
- Any IRS documents with unclear messages, such as "could not be processed" or "the request could not be honored" are not acceptable documentation for Verification of Non-Filing Letter.
- Students/Parents should follow the instructions provided by the IRS to obtain further documentation that provides a clear and precise message.
If you are unable to use the IRS data retrieval tool function on the FAFSA, or request a tax return transcript by using form 4506-T, you must contact the IRS by calling: 1-800-908-9946.