SJSU Campus Scholarships
The 2023-24 SJSU scholarship application, Spartan Scholarships, is CLOSED for all
We are currently reviewing scholarship applications. Students who are selected for a scholarship award will be notified on a rolling basis via their preferred email address in MYSJSU through the Fall 2023 semester.
The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office administers three types of scholarships:
- SJSU campus scholarships
- Department scholarships
- Private scholarships
Students should apply for as many scholarships as possible to lessen the need for loans or part-time work to attend school.
Please note: the Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) is not a scholarship; it is a state grant.
Various academic departments on campus manage their own scholarships. Students are strongly encouraged to keep in close contact with their major department for scholarship information. These scholarships each have their own specific criteria, deadlines, and application instructions. Students should contact their department directly for additional information.
Scholarships come from a number of different sources. It can take some time and effort on your behalf to research them all. There are businesses that offer to do this work for you for a fee, but SJSU does not recommend these services.
View Scholarship Resources for available scholarship databases.
We encourage all students to apply for External Scholarship Opportunities offered by private organizations outside of SJSU.
Additional Scholarship Information
- International students will only be eligible for those scholarships that are merit-based. Need-based scholarships are part of financial aid, which is unavailable to international students. View Scholarships for International Students for additional information.
- Remember: When you apply for a scholarship, the application and other materials you submit represents you to the scholarship committee. It is important that you spend time on your application to do the best job you can. For some helpful hints on applying for scholarships, see our Tips on Applying for Scholarships.
- You should never pay to fill out the FAFSA. The FAFSA is a free application. Fill it out at studentaid.gov. To learn more, download our Avoid Financial Aid Fraud [pdf] handout.
10 Reasons to Apply for Scholarships
- You need a study break, and filling out a scholarship application is a good diversion.
- You have studied many long hours to get great grades.
- Scholarships are investments in our future: YOU!
- Not all scholarships are based on need; some are based on academic or personal achievements.
- Scholarships are a great way to pay for school. They provide funding that you don't have to pay back!
- Rather than having to search for scholarships and complete numerous applications, Spartan Scholarships is an opportunity to apply for multiple scholarships with one application.
- You are unique in all that you do, and it is about time that you tell someone else about it.
- Asking for letters of recommendation gives you a chance to connect with your professors without worrying about your grades.
- There are many scholarships that were set up with exactly you and your talents in mind.
- Writing an essay about yourself may not be an easy task, but it's good practice for writing cover letters, resumes and personal statements.