Workshops & Drop-In Consultations
Leadership development is a journey, and the Student Involvement staff are committed to supporting students at every stage, from individuals interested in exploring the myriad leadership opportunities SJSU has to offer to experienced leaders looking to translate their experiences into marketable skills as they apply for jobs and graduate programs.
If you're interested in exploring consultation possibilities, email firstname.lastname@example.org, set up a one on one meeting with the Leadership Development Coordinator here, or fill out this training/workshop request form. We look forward to working with you!
Spring 2021 Opportunities
Some of our previous workshops have been recorded and posted in our Google Classroom. Please see our Digital Resources section below for instructions on how to access these.
- Kimberly Foster: Lessons of LeadershipApril 7th, 2021 | 5:00 - 6:00pm
- All SJSU students are invited to this exciting opportunity with Kimberly Foster, who is a writer, cultural critic and founder and editor-in-chief of For Harriet, a multi-platform digital community for Black women with over 15 million views on YouTube. Register today to save your spot and hear from Kimberly's experiences around leadership, the intersections of race and gender, and other important topics for today's college students. Hosted by Student Involvement and The Black Leadership and Opportunity Center.
- Spartan Speaker Series Discussion Space | Thursday, February 11 (12-1pm)
- This is a discussion space for members of the SJSU community to reflect on the previous night’s speaker (learn more about the Spartan Speaker Series and register for other events here). Baratunde Thurston is an Emmy-nominated host who has worked for The Onion, produced for The Daily Show, advised the Obama White House, and cleaned bathrooms to pay for his Harvard education.
- Working within Diverse Groups | Tuesday, February 23rd (12-1pm)
- We all have many differences to be celebrated, but today's climate can make working within diverse groups more challenging. Join this discussion to learn more about how we can use our diversity as a strength, communicate with others who may think differently, and lead with an authentic and inclusive mindset.
- Spartan Speaker Series Discussion Space | Thursday, February 25 (5-6pm)
- This is a discussion space for members of the SJSU community to reflect on the previous night’s speaker (learn more about the Spartan Speaker Series and register for other events here). Alok Menon (they/them) is a gender non-conforming writer and performance artist. Their distinctive style and poetic challenge to the gender binary have been internationally renowned.
- Advocacy and Leadership | Tuesday, March 9 (1-2pm)
- "Advocacy" might mean different things to different people, but what is it really all about? We need advocacy in leadership now more than ever, so join us for this conversation about what advocacy looks like and how to be an effective ally to different groups.
Previous Leadership Opportunities
- Managing Conflict with Others - Check out this discussion about how to be a better conflict manager.
- Latinas in Leadership - This great panel of incredible Latinx women shared their experiences with leadership, and offered insight and advice.
- Motivating and Inspiring a Group - This discussion was about what tools and tricks you can use to help motivate you and your team!
- Amplify Your Voice - Learn why your voice matters and how to use it effectively.
- Amplify Your Values - Reflecting on your core values can help you make positive impactful decisions!
- Amplify Your Meeting - Great for student leaders - join us to learn about how to maximize your meetings!
- Amplify Your Goals - Focus on goal setting and take away some goal development and achievement strategies.
- Amplify Your Experience - Learn about how to find the kinds of experiences you are looking for!
- Amplify Your Strengths - Learn how to utilize your strengths and improve your areas of growth!
Other Past Opportunities and Topics
- Spartan Leadership & Career Conference
- ¡Si Se Puede! Latinas in Leadership
- Values Matter! Lessons in Ethical Leadership
- The Emotionally Intelligent Leader
- Leadership 101: Workshop for Greek Life Members
- Leadership 101: For Registered Student Org Members
- The Danger of 'Fierce Loyalty': Lessons in Ethical Leadership
- Leadership 101: Leadership & Values
- Discovering Your Leadership Identity
- Leadership 101: Learning About Your Leadership Styles
- #GoalDiggers: Create Your Vision Board for 2019!
- We want to know... What famous Black leader(s) inspire you?
- Leading While Black: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
- Calling in Black: Racial Battle Fatigue & Self-Care
- We want to know... What famous Female leader(s) inspire you?
- Lessons Learned: Leading While Female
- Leading with Strength: Being Empowered as a Leader with a Disability
- Using Your Strengths to Treat Yourself Well