Recognition by San José State University lasts for one academic year, from July 1 to June 30 through the following year.
Every existing student organization that wishes to continue to operate from year to year must renew their recognition application with Student Involvement each year during the Fall recognition cycle.
Re-Recognition Process for Spring 2020 Opening Soon!
If you are currently a Recognized Student Organization for the 2019-2020 academic year, your organization will need to complete the Student Organization Re-Recognition process in Spring 2020 in order to remain a Recognized Student Organization for the 2020-2021 academic year.
There are two important due dates for current Recognized Student Organizations to complete materials to be Recognized for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Organization's Re-Recognition application for 2020-2021: Your organization's current leadership will receive an email with a URL link to complete this application. Please email email@example.com if you do not receive this. Do not use the URL link for any other organization.
- President and Treasurer completion of Canvas Course: Within 2 weeks of submitting your application, the President and Treasurer will be entered into an online Canvas course. Presidents and Treasurers are expected to complete the course with 100% on all quizzes and prompts.
Procedure for Re-Recognizing Student Organizations
Step 1. Maintain Required Membership
Student organizations must have a minimum of 8 currently enrolled and matriculated SJSU students, two of which must be a President and Treasurer.
The President and Treasurer must:
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- Be currently enrolled in at least 6 credits (3 credits for graduate students)
- Not have completed over 150 units or 125% of the units needed for their major
- Be in good standing with SJSU
- Check and be listed as a member in SJSU | SAMMY
- Check SJSU email
Step 2. Select an Advisor
Student organizations must have an SJSU faculty/staff member serve as an Advisor.
The Advisor must:
- Work for SJSU
- Cannot be an employee of an SJSU auxiliary department (e.g.: Associated Students, Spartan Shops, Student Union)
- Advisors must be verified by Student Involvement
- Provide continuity from year to year
- Provide SJSU ID for verification
- Check SJSU email
Step 3. Complete Application for Recognition on the SJSU SAMMY App
When the re-recognition process begins, please follow these important steps:
- Step 3A: Student Organization completes online application
- A unique application URL will be sent to leaders of your organization. DO NOT use the URL link of another organization.
- Your application will require the following information:
- Purpose of club
- Name, Student ID number, and SJSU Email of the President and Treasurer
- SJSU Email of at least 6 other members of your organization
- The name, Employee ID number, and SJSU Email of your Advisor
- The Constitution for your organization
- Step 3B: Student Involvement reviews application (Please allow up to 2 weeks for processing)
- If all correct, move to Step 3C
- If something is wrong, Step 3A may need to be completed again with updated information.
- Step 3C: President & Treasurer complete training
- After Student Involvement has confirmed your application is accurate, the President & Treasurer will be loaded into a Canvas course. Both officers will need to complete the course in its entirety to be a recognized organization.
- Club officers must get 100% on all quizzes in the Canvas course in order to pass.
- Step 3D: Becoming Re-Recognized (Please allow 2 weeks for processing)
- An invite to SJSU|SAMMY for administrative access will be received.
- Re-recognition may take up to 2 weeks while it is confirmed you have completed the required Canvas training.
To get an idea of the process, watch the Club Recognition Demo video:
After the Recognition Deadline:
The recognition process takes approximately six weeks from when you complete and submit the required materials until you receive an official recognition letter. During this period, your timely response to any requests for information or changes to your constitution will speed up the process.
Groups that miss any of the steps will not have their recognition granted.
Complete the online Additional Leaders Form [Google form] to add additional executive board leaders to your roster. Presidents & Treasurers must not be on any university probation and must meet unit requirements. All other officers must not be on any university probation.
Additional Steps for Club Sports and Fraternities & Sororities:
An organization that is a competitive club sports team and competes with non-SJSU sports clubs in a league environment must be affiliated with the SJSU Club Sports Program. For more information, visit the Club Sports.
Organizations seeking affiliation with any fraternity and sorority council (IFC, PHC, NPHC, USFC) must complete the Fraternity and Sorority Expansion Process. For more information about becoming a recognized fraternity or sorority, please contact the relevant Student Involvement staff member.