FAQ portion about Field Education
Q: I am a current Field instructor supervising a Student Intern placed with my agency. Where can I seek support from SJSU School of Social Work?
A: Each Student Intern has a Field Faculty Liaison. The Field Faculty Liaison is the first point of contact regarding your Student Intern. You can reach your Student’s Field Faculty Liaison by email. Please read a list of Field Faculty Liaisons and their contact information.
Additionally, the Field Office Team offers a monthly drop in hour for Field Instructors. The dates and zoom link for these meetings are sent to all Field Instructors by email. Please note that other Field Instructors may be present during drop in hours and the time is best used for general questions rather than a specific discussion of an Intern.
Q: Where can I get help with my resume and interview skills?
A: San José State Career Center
Please review the San José State Career Center website.
Q: Where can I find more information about the petition to use my place of employment as my internship site?
A: Students may review, The MSW Field Placement and Field Fair Information Meeting January, 2023 powerpoint. There are several slides regarding the circumstances of when/if a petition needs to be completed and pointers for successfully completing the form.
Q: I am a prospective student. How plausible is it to use an employment site for practicum placement? Would it be possible for both practicum years to be done at my place of employment if the internships would be with different job duties and with a different program than where I am currently employed?
A: Each scenario described in your question would require a petition and we cannot guarantee approval in advance because of different variables that may exist. We have to adhere to the CSWE standards and our program's policies and standards to ensure that our students are receiving appropriate supervision with learning experiences to meet competencies.
We also encourage students to consider two different placements each year as this is the only opportunity to be an MSW student and gain valuable social experience in this process.
Any admitted student must complete a petition to intern at their place of employment and the employer must also adhere to the SJSU guidelines and policies. In addition, there is no guarantee that petitions will be approved or meet our SJSU guidelines.
Q: What is the timeline for Second Year Field Education Students and BASW Seniors
for Fall 2023 internships?
Internship Search Process, Timeline, and Forms for students in their final year during the 2023-2024 school year:
- Beginning 6/6/23:
- Students may contact agencies to express interest and request interview
- Beginning 6/7/23:
- Students may begin interviewing with agencies for internships for AY 2023-2024
- Agencies are free to make internship offers to students
- Student can accept an offer after they have interviewed with at least two agencies
- As Soon as You Accept An Offer:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the agency name, your SJSU email address and SJSU ID #
- Register with Tevera, once you receive the email invitation
- Complete the Site Placement Process in Tevera
Q: I am a current student. What should I do to secure an internship?
- Attend the Internship Search Orientation meeting. This meeting will help you to understand the Internship Search Process, the Field Fairs and the requirements students will follow to finalize the placement. A Internship Search Orientation is offered in January for BASW students and also MSW students who will be entering their final year of field placement the following academic year. A Field Placement Preparation meeting is offered in June for MSW students who will be entering their first year of field education that academic year. The Internship Search Orientation meetings are mandatory for students.
- Refer back to the slides provided after the Internship Search Orientation meeting for instructions on the Site Placement Process.
- Pay attention to emails from the Field Education Office, as they contain important and timely information about internships.
- Use the active agency list to search for an internship site that the School of Social Work already has an existing practicum agreement with. This ensures that the placement will meet the CSWE standards and that the agency has an appropriate Field Instructor.
- Check the Active Agency List for updates. As the Field Education Office receives ongoing communication from agencies about changes in contacts, changes in availability of internships, etc., updates are made to this working document so that students are aware of the changes.
- Ask for feedback from agencies who decline to offer you an interview or internship position. This may help you improve your interview skills.
- Contact the San José State Career Center for help with your resume and with interview skills.
- Follow up with agencies that you have sent your resume to and or requested an interview. Taking a proactive stance will help you obtain an internship.
- Stay in communication with your Field Faculty Liaison regarding your progress in securing an internship. Ask for help or suggestions when needed.
- Email the social work field education office