529 College Savings Plan
A 529 plan is a tax-advantaged savings plan designed to encourage saving for future education costs. The account holder can use these funds to pay for eligible SJSU’s charges. For additional information concerning 529 plans, please visit:
Two Ways to Use Your 529 Plan funds at SJSU
- Online - Verify that the plan provider has partnered with TransAct. If your plan vendor is on the TransAct list then you can select 529 plan as a form of payment. Use our all-inclusive How to Pay Online [pdf] guide to complete the payment process.
- Paper Check - If TransAct lists the provider as unavailable, the plan provider must mail a paper check instead. Mail paper checks using our standard procedure listed below. It is the student’s responsibility to work with the plan account holder and their 529 plan provider to arrange this payment. We highly recommend that this be initiated two to three weeks in advance of the payment due date. It takes time for the check to be mailed out and reach our office for processing
Send your check by mail using the address below or drop off your check payment in the night depository located on the right-hand side of the front entrance of the Student Services Center (under the scrolling electronic sign).
Make checks payable to San José State University or SJSU. Mail checks to:San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0138
Things to Know About Paying By Check
- Student’s SJSU ID number must be on the face of the check.
- All personal checks will convert to electronic debits.
- Checks will not be returned to the student.
- A charge will appear on bank statements under electronic debits.
- If the bank dishonors a check for any reason, enrollment is subject to cancellation. Enrollment cancellation may occur without prior notification. The first returned check will incur a $25 fee and $35 after that. You may also be charged an additional administrative fee.
- SJSU has no control over whether the bank sends checks through a second time for clearing.
- Postmarks are not accepted. Checks must be stamped received in our office by the payment due date; otherwise, classes are subject to enrollment cancellation.