California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540)

Any student, other than a non-immigrant alien, who meets all of the criteria listed below, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all public colleges and universities in California).


  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three (3) or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Contact the Office of Registrar at 283-7500 for more information or at California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption.

Cal Vet Fee Waiver Program

Under the California Education Code, dependents of veterans whose death or disability was service-connected may be eligible for exemption from many SJSU fees for the Spring and Fall semesters only (Summer and Winter Sessions not included). Applications and information are available from your county Veterans' Services Office. Fill out the Cal Vet Fee Waiver form and send it in to the County Veterans Service Office. You should do this once a year, usually after taxes are done on April 15th. Contact the College Fee Waiver Program - Calvet for more information.