John Gilbert Scholarship for International Studies
$1,000 to $7,000 awarded annually
The John Gilbert Scholarship is made possible through the generosity of a fund set up by the family and friends of John Gilbert. The John Gilbert Scholarship is exclusively for students who participate in an SJSU-approved study abroad program. Applicants for the John Gilbert Scholarship for International Studies must be Political Science majors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall, at SJSU, or in the Political Science major. Applicants must be full-time Political Science majors taking a minimum of 12 units at the time of application, or full-time students when enrolled in the study board program. This scholarship also supports participation in Faculty Led Programs that take place in the intersession (summer and winter).
To apply, follow these steps:
This Scholarship does not use the common scholarship application form.
- First consult with the Gilbert Scholarship Advisor, Professor Danijela Dudley (Clark Hall 404F).
- Attend an SJSU Study Abroad informational meeting or individual counseling session with an SJSU study abroad advisor.
- Prepare and submit an application to a recognized program through the SJSU Study Abroad office.
- Prepare a 500-word statement on the relevance of study abroad to your educational and professional goals, including a tentative budget for the overseas stay. In this statement the applicant should identify the particular program or programs for which he or she is applying. Note, you do not need to have been accepted to a study aboard program, to apply for the Gilbert Scholarship.
- Please attach a resume, including information on employment, memberships in clubs, associations, fraternities, sororities, public service organizations, or other extracurricular activities, including those outside SJSU.
- Print and complete the Gilbert Scholarship application form [pdf], attach the 500 word statement including budget, and information about the study aboard program that you are applying for. Also attach a copy of your Study Aboard application.
- Bring the complete application and supporting documents to Professor Dudley and obtain her signature. Her office hours are here.
There is no specific deadline for Gilbert Scholarships. A pplications will continue to be accepted on a rotating basis until all funds are awarded. Therefore, it is in your interest to apply early to optimize your chances.
Laura Kerharo, 2021
Molizabeth Sieng, 2021
Syndi Tucci-Jones, 2020
Madison Rosewall, 2019
Serena Rodriguez, 2019
Fleurine Saez, 2019
Darren Agcaoili, 2018
Asya Evelyn, 2018
Skyler Baumann, 2018
Emily Michaelis, 2018
Maria de los Angeles Santos-Quezada, 2017
Jenny Ballesteros, 2017
Eric Medraro, 2016
Lucia Hernandez, 2016
Amanda Adams, 2016
Gabrielle Straughn, 2015
Jessica Andrews, 2015
Lida Azim, 2014
Teresa Gomez, 2014