SJSU Teach Online Summer Certificate Program
The SJSU Teach Online Certificate Program is a three-week online program during the summer led by experienced online instructors. The program is module based and requires completion of seven modules by the end of the program to earn a certificate, badge, and stipend. The program kicks off with a synchronous session, which will take place on June 8, June 29, and July 20 time TBD. This is the only time-based component. After the session, you will gain access to the Canvas course to get started. Throughout the program, the faculty mentors will hold open office hours to provide additional guidance and support. Instructional designers will also partner with you to assist with your course design.
- What are the dates of the program?
The program offers three cohort opportunies. You can select the one that works best with your schedule.
- June 8 - June 28
- June 29 - July 19
- July 20 - August 8
- How do I apply?
To apply, please complete the brief application form.
- What topics will the program cover?
The kick-off session will cover the following topics:
- What is hybrid, flip, and hybridize?
- Equity in online pedagogy
The rest of the program is module based and includes both required and optional modules.
- Mastering Online Teaching Essentials
- Supporting Universal Design for Learning
- Analyzing Assessment Strategies
- Equity and Inclusion Frameworks in Design in Online Settings
Optional Modules (select three or more)
- Conducting Online Labs
- Getting Creative with Adobe
- Developing Media and Recording Lectures
- Providing Feedback and Adopting Timesaving Grading Strategies
- Illustrating Canvas Best Practices
- Examining Open Educational Resources
- Developing an Online Mindset
- Exploring Technologies
- Integrating Support Services
- How much time commitment does this involve?
The program kicks-off with a two hour online session. Then, for the next three weeks it will involve completing an average of two or three modules a week. A module will take two hours to complete. This equals approximately sixteen hours of participation.
- Is there funding associated with this program?
Yes, by participating in the program you are eligible to receive $1000 in professional development funds or a stipend.
- I have no experience teaching online. Does this program apply to me?
Yes, this program offers multiple tracks, so if you do not have any online experience, there are opportunities to expand your skillset starting at an introductory level.
- I have experience teaching online. Does this program apply to me?
- Yes, this program offers multiple tracks, so if you already have online experience, there are still opportunities to expand your skillset.
- Do the faculty mentors facilitating the program have online teaching experience?
- Yes, the faculty members that will facilitate the program each have experience with online and hybrid instruction. They are also from a wide-range of disciplines to offer additional examples and experience that could be directly applicable to you.
- I do not have the necessary equipment available. Are there resources for me?
- Yes, as part of this program we can help to connect you with additional resources, both hardware and software, to assist in your online course design.
- I would like a copy of my certificate for my dossier. When will I receive it?
- Approximately two weeks after completing the program, you can expect to receive an email with your certificate attached.
- Are there additional training opportunities available this summer?
Yes, there are multiple opportunities available during the summer.
- Quality Matters workshops available. Quality Matters is a nationally-recognized professional development program for online and hybrid course design. Review the registration opportunities for the workshops.
- eCampus regularly holds workshops on a wide range of topics from Getting Started with Canvas to Mastering Camastia. Review the workshop offerings to register.