Department of Biological Sciences Mission
As leaders in the education of a highly trained and diverse scientific workforce,
our mission is to provide a dynamic educational experience by engaging our students
in hands-on, inquiry-based learning activities at the bench and in the field while
cultivating an inclusive learning environment that acknowledges and respects individuals
from all backgrounds. Through these experiences, our students will gain a conceptual
and experiential understanding of the biological sciences spanning from molecules
Our Program Goals
• Promote the success of our diverse student population in an inclusive and equitable community.
• Make substantial contributions to the scientific community through our research efforts and that of our students.
• Foster creativity, a sound theoretical foundation, and the ability to communicate effectively and interact cooperatively with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Provide students with rigorous laboratory and field experiences within the context of their regular coursework.
• Create individualized mentoring opportunities and state-of-the-art learning experiences within the context of our faculty research programs.
• Educate students to be intellectually agile and technologically proficient.
• Affirm students’ intersecting identities while supporting and fostering their academic development.